Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: My New SIG P229R

Thanks Todd,

The plot sickens.... Cali, being one of those 10 round mag states.

Two 229 thoughts, and I didn't want to start a new thread for just this.

1) I got around to shooting a P229 that the Sig Custom shop did an "action enhancement job" on, getting a .40 229 ready for summer. Light hits. This is the third pistol they screwed up the trigger job on, creating light hits. I would be quite cautious to thoroughly test any pistol for reliable ignition after on elf their trigger jobs.

2) Is it just my pistols, or is the DA trigger quite a bit longer on a 229 than a 226? I am used to the 226 trigger, and the DA 229 trigger seems to take for ever to break.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I honestly don't feel a need to improve on my 229 srt trigger. It's pretty killer - but I wouldn't mind a lighter da pull if it wouldn't cause light strikes

We are diminished
    Bill did all of his testing of the reliability using a 17# Wolff spring I had supplied. Upon return, I replaced it with the (heavier) stock SIG spring.

Keeping in mind that the trigger, sear, and disconnector were all changed, the gun started life stock with a 9#6oz DA and a SA of 4#6oz. Now, post Riehlization and refinishing all the internals in his super slick finish, the DA is 9.25# and the SA is a hair under 3.5# ... I'm still awed at how heavy the DA measures because it feels like a 6-7# trigger.

To say that the pistol is awesome really fails to do it justice. The smoothness is indescribable.

On a whim while I waited for the gun to return I bought a tungsten guide rod, so it's living in there now, too. It'll be a while before I get to see if it actually has any impact on performance positive or negative, but something tells me a buddy or two will be putting rounds downrange with this thing before I get to. I have so many great and generous friends.

My fully Riehlized SIG:

Holster & mag pouch courtesy of JM Custom Kydex

As you've said before Todd, after your latest post I really wanted to hit a like button. Bill did a great job. Will it still be a couple months before you get to actually shoot it? Really excited to hear your reports on this Sig.

Which options did you choose for the JM?

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by Papalapa View Post
    Will it still be a couple months before you get to actually shoot it? Really excited to hear your reports on this Sig.
    April, if I'm responsible. I'll be honest, there is a part of me that is thinking perhaps I'll have a buddy bring me to the range so I can at least check out my grip live fire for a few rounds to make sure I'm not sending myself down a rabbit hole (see my training journal for explanation). He'll just stand there with a sword, and if I do anything stupid with the gun in my hand...

Quote Originally Posted by john556 View Post
    Which options did you choose for the JM?
    You know, I've been using Tony's holsters for so long at this point I just order "aiwb" and he puts them together the way I need. So he might come in and correct me but I think I get:
    • AIWB
    • right side
    • medium guard
    • split loop medium + split loop high
    • extra tuck

This is the second grey holster I got from him after using black forever. I think it's less severe and attention-getting if inadvertently exposed to view while I'm concealing. I tried the first one (an OWB 1911 holster I needed when wearing a suit) on Tony's advice and the difference was enough to convince me to go grey again. I'm sure there will be plenty more pics of the gun in the holster coming over the year.

Todd, what is your thoughts on the E2 grip? I liked the E2-ish style grips on my Sig Pro well enough while shooting the pistol, but they rub my delicate side meat raw after carrying all day. I ordered a blank sheet of rubber material from Talon Grips and they seem just as grippy without the abrasiveness on my skin.

(I should note that I do not wear undershirts even in Winter.)

We are diminished
    I never have a gun against my skin, there's always an undershirt so I'm not concerned about that.

The E2 grips are ridiculously thin compared to everything I'm used to with SIG from my time there. I actually liked the old stock 2-piece grips, but there is something nice about not worrying about grip screws backing out (especially prevalent with the P229 40/357 frame this gun is based on because the screws have to be so short).

My intent is to swap mine out with Lasergrips, which are quite thick. So that will be a pretty significant change. But the benefit of the laser makes it worth it to me.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post

You know, I've been using Tony's holsters for so long at this point I just order "aiwb" and he puts them together the way I need. So he might come in and correct me but I think I get:
    • AIWB
    • right side
    • medium guard
    • split loop medium + split loop high
    • extra tuck

Not to derail the thread, but did you also have your JM built this way when you were carrying the Warren 1911?

Am looking to get an AIWB from Tony but was wondering if the extra tuck option was worth getting on a holster that will carry a full-sized pistol. (92FS in my case)

That SIG is possibly the only pistol you've posted about that has us drooling even before the 50k round testing begins.

User Tag List