Page 3 of 43 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: CZ 75 SP01 Mink Shadow

I'm guessing that you're shooting the safety version of the SP-01. If that's the case, how comfortable is the safety to ride while shooting? The levers don't look very friendly to the practice, or are they up and out of the way enough that you can flip and forget? If the latter, how easy/awkward is it to get them on the draw, and to reapply before movement or re-holster?

If you've got the decocker model (Tactical, I think), what do you think of the placement and ease of use?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Williams View Post
    GJM, what tuning do your pistols have done to them?

Do you feel at this point they are "duty/carry" guns or solely "gaming" guns?

I think it's neat CZs/Witness's are "in" nowl. I had a Springfield P9 .40 years ago that was pretty cool. I remember when Jeff Cooper went to CZ to work with them on their upcoming .45, and how disappointed he was in the resulting CZ97B, because of it's large size.
    I have 2 Mink CZ 75 SP01 pistols. They were tuned by Matt Mink, and have the CZ 85 trigger, small thumb safety, FO front and black rear sight, and Matt's trigger job with the short reset trigger. I also have a P01 special model run, CZ Compact L, that was lightly tuned by CZ Custom with a carry trigger job and Tru Glo tritium sights. I am not crazy about the sights, and may have the slide milled for a Heinie rear sight.

In terms of range versus game, I am still vetting them, but the P01 was bought as a carry gun. So far all the pistols run. I don't think I would carry the Shadow because it doesn't have a firing pin safety. I would carry an equivalent SP01, non Shadow, with the firing pin safety. Also thinking about a CZ 75BD, with the decocker, and the 2014 models of the P07/09. The P01 is nearly where I am comfortable with it, except for the sights.

It is funny that what Col. Cooper liked most about the CZ 75 was its ability to be carried "cocked and locked," something I don't do.

I had a range session earlier today. Amongst other things, I was thinking about my friend's comments on the shootability of a "regular" CZ versus the Mink Shadow, and slide lock reloads given JV's comments. I only had my SP01 holster with me, but decided to immediately grab the P01 cold and try a few drills. The fit was a bit tight in the holster, but I proceeded. I made three draws at 7 yards, all in the .90's with a hit, and felt like the pistol was dragging just a smudge. I then shot two Bill drills, 2.05 and 2.03 (open carry). I was frankly extremely pleased given this is a very stockfish 3.8 inch barrel, alloy pistol with crappy sights. Later in the session, I ran one Bill drill with the SP01 at 2.00. That compared to 1.97 yesterday. My friend thinks the reason I like the CZ is all the Mink trigger, but my contention is that it is a lot more than that. Hardly scientific, possibly just psychological, but these are better results than with my Beretta Elite and 226. Then I did my first slide lock reloads at 7 yards. My best was 1.36 and while I did only a few, they were between 1.36 and 1.50. For my ability, this are much much better than I have been able to do previously. I didn't try reloading the P01, but visually the mag well seems tapered similarly to the Shadow, so I am not sure why it wouldn't reload as fast, especially using a full size CZ magazine.

In summary, whether it is trigger, general ergo's, placebo effect, or something I haven't considered, the CZ is working better for me than anything I have shot to date, when compared across the broadest range of shooting tests. It is pretty early, and while it is always possible something may happen to cause me to believe the CZ unsatisfactory as a platform -- but for now I am thrilled.

PS: Just saw the thumb safety question. I have a small thumb safety with a stiff springs that requires a firm press to move the statement. I don't use the thumb safety, and put dominant thumb over my support thumb like with a P30 or Sig P series. Since the safety won't move without an intentional movement, I disregard it. I might consider using the thumb safety rather than manually decocting, but that would be on an exception basis.
    Last edited by GJM; 01-30-2014 at 06:50 PM. Reason: thumb safety question answered
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Great thoughts and observations so far. Echoing Chris's thoughts above, is this the type of gun you would truly carry day to day? Is the associated cost worth the additional performance gains? Certainly both very subjective questions, so I am only asking in regards to you. Do you feel the "honeymoon phase" is playing any part in measured performance increase?

ETA: just noticed we posted near the same time
    Taking a break from social media.

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    You shoot a custom tuned CZ better than a Glock 34?
    Keep in mind that G JM has owned a large number of custom 1911s. If he says that it shoots better than any gun he's ever shot, then that basically means better than any gun available.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    Great thoughts and observations so far. Echoing Chris's thoughts above, is this the type of gun you would truly carry day to day? Is the associated cost worth the additional performance gains? Certainly both very subjective questions, so I am only asking in regards to you. Do you feel the "honeymoon phase" is playing any part in measured performance increase?

ETA: just noticed we posted near the same time
    Time will tell, but I have had enough experience with "honeymoon" periods with the Glock, Sig and Beretta, to have a reasonably good feel after the number of rounds that I have fired thru the CZ that this is a genuine leap in performance. My wife has seen a bunch of platforms come and go, only shoots a Glock, but says the CZ is truly the bomb -- at least for me. She has shot nothing except a Glock for nearly 20 years, other than a month with a M&P 9, but said this summer she might want to consider a CZ. That is big news coming out of her mouth. I think with a decocker, either a steel, alloy or polymer CZ will be a great carry gun. There is little economic justification for anything beyond a Glock 19, so I have just given up justifying things on a cost/performance basis. I do want to carry a very similar model to what I "game," to the extent I am "gaming" anything at that moment. I can easily see carrying a polymer P07 or 09 in .40 in Alaska when out and about, carrying a CZ 9 in lower 48, and the Mink Shadow for max performing stuff.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    There is little economic justification for anything beyond a Glock 19
    I always say my life is worth $398, because that is what a Glock at the cop shop costs.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    PS: Just saw the thumb safety question. I have a small thumb safety with a stiff springs that requires a firm press to move the statement. I don't use the thumb safety, and put dominant thumb over my support thumb like with a P30 or Sig P series. Since the safety won't move without an intentional movement, I disregard it. I might consider using the thumb safety rather than manually decocting, but that would be on an exception basis.
    Excellent, thank you very much, sir.

Don't forget the Cz Custom shop makes Cz handguns just as good as Mink's.
    http://czcustom.com/shadowcustom2014blk.aspx
    Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

Quote Originally Posted by cclaxton View Post
    Don't forget the Cz Custom shop makes Cz handguns just as good as Mink's.
    http://czcustom.com/shadowcustom2014blk.aspx
    Cody
    I'm greatly tempted by this one.

I recently picked up a bone stock P01 compact. Its my first CZ. The trigger is very smooth in both DA and SA and the reset is the best I've ever felt on a DA/SA pistol. The stock sights are the worst I've ever seen on a pistol. What are the best night sight options currently?

User Tag List