Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Walther PPS as back up/NPE alternative to HK VP9

Walther PPS as back up/NPE alternative to HK VP9

My VP9 is very much growing on me. I am left handed so although I have gotten by fine with mostly Glocks and a smattering of other guns, the paddle mag release on the VP9 is working great. My problem is if I decide to switch to the VP9 as a carry gun I will be doing a ton of dry work, live fire, and classes with it. For me, YMMV, the paddle release is unique enough from the button style that I don't want to be switching back and forth for my carry gun. Unfortunately the VP9 is bigger than the G19 I am used to carrying daily and is at the upper limits of concealability for me. My thinking is to go with a PPS for those occasions that don't work well with the VP9. Thoughts?

The PPS is a great little gun, some consider it to be one of the best little 9's out there. Can't find fault in your logic.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

It's exactly what I would do, too. Heck I may actually do it.

For whatever it's worth, I don't think changing mag release types is as big a deal as some make it; especially if you're likely to carry the backup/NPE gun with no spare mag anyway, which some certainly do. I'm a big fan of the paddle release either way.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

I'm not sure how well muscle memory from reps with the VP9 will transfer to the PPS as far as the mag release goes. Yes they both have paddle arrangements, but the pivot point is different, on the PPS it is further forward and the paddle does not seem designed to be depressed as close to the grip as on the VP9. (I no longer own a VP9 so I can't provide a direct comparison, but I just now compared my PPS to my P2000 with extended release, YMMV.) Still I think the PPS is a great choice, it shoots very well and I feel it is extremely unlikely the mag release could be unintentionally activated, which I see as a big advantage for some nontraditional modes of carry that such a slim gun lends itself to. Even if HK or Glock finally came out with a single-stack 9, I don't see myself parting with my PPS.

Go for it - the PPS and VP9 are very alike in their controls, even if diverging in the specifics. Pepsi-testing tweaks to your reloads and magazine changes until a technique demonstrates equal effectiveness with either system.

It doesn't hurt that the PPS has a rail, unlike the Shield, if you have a desire to run lights on both systems.

Quote Originally Posted by EricM View Post
    I'm not sure how well muscle memory from reps with the VP9 will transfer to the PPS as far as the mag release goes. Yes they both have paddle arrangements, but the pivot point is different, on the PPS it is further forward and the paddle does not seem designed to be depressed as close to the grip as on the VP9. (I no longer own a VP9 so I can't provide a direct comparison, but I just now compared my PPS to my P2000 with extended release, YMMV.) Still I think the PPS is a great choice, it shoots very well and I feel it is extremely unlikely the mag release could be unintentionally activated, which I see as a big advantage for some nontraditional modes of carry that such a slim gun lends itself to. Even if HK or Glock finally came out with a single-stack 9, I don't see myself parting with my PPS.
    I had the same experience with the PPS/P30 combo a while back. The magazine releases were different enough that there wasn't a single technique that would work with both. They were different enough that it would not have mattered if I'd gone with a button release.

The PPS is a great gun though. It shoots like a larger gun than it is. The biggest problem I had was finding extra magazines and spare parts. I'm seeing PPSs on the shelves again, so the supply chain may have improved by now.

I wish you guys would stop talking about the PPS. Local dealer has a new one for $535. I picked up a really nice used off of here a while back and decided hastily that it wasn't for me. There is a lot to like about them.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

I travel a lot for work. The PPS is my "travel" gun, it conceals easily in NPE environments. I also like the fact that it compliments the VP9 nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by EricM View Post
    I'm not sure how well muscle memory from reps with the VP9 will transfer to the PPS as far as the mag release goes. Yes they both have paddle arrangements, but the pivot point is different, on the PPS it is further forward and the paddle does not seem designed to be depressed as close to the grip as on the VP9. (I no longer own a VP9 so I can't provide a direct comparison, but I just now compared my PPS to my P2000 with extended release, YMMV.)..
    Hmm, interesting. It looks like that is something I should test out.

Thanks for the good feedback everyone.

Has anybody thought about cutting down a VP9? People cut 17's down all the time. Pick your back strap and glue it on and cut it down. Problem solved.

User Tag List