Thread: My training year in review

My training year in review

I haven’t been keeping a training journal but have kept up with the Drill of the Week and I have been tracking my performance so this seems like the best place for this post (mods feel free to move if you this it is more appropriate elsewhere).

I decided to set some training/performance goals for the new year and as part of that I took a look at my performance over the past year by comparing some drills to how I was doing on them at the end of 2012. Instead of taking a snapshot of what may have been a fluke by looking at personal best or one specific run I thought it would be better to review several runs. I decided that by looking at my average of the last 5 runs of a specific drill at the end of 2012, and the average of the last 5 runs of the same drill at the end of 2013 it would give me a better look at how my skill level has changed over the past year and give me some basis for what I should try for this year. For reference, I did not use multiple runs of the same drill shot on the same day. If I shot a drill multiple times in one practice, then I took the score from the first run only to use in the 5 run average so each average is taken from 5 different practice sessions. So here are some numbers.

99 Drill (4x6 card from concealment)
    2012: 51 2013: 65

4567 Drill
    2012: 23.15 sec. (only one clean run out of the 5) 2013: 20.95 sec. (no clean runs of the 5)

20 Hits
    2012: 43.93 sec. 2013: 37.22 sec.

Bullseye 1000 (this drill I shot less than 5 times each year)
    2012: 795 (average of 3 runs for the year) 2013: 822 (average of 2 runs for the year)

And finally, the FAST (average is of cold runs only, first shots fired at a practice session)
    2012: 8.39 sec. (2 clean runs out of 5) 2013: 7.77 sec. (3 clean runs out of 5)
    I still do the no more than 3 FAST runs per day deal and have a personal best of 5.72 seconds clean, but I suck at getting clean runs consistently.

My pistol goals for 2014
    1. Make master class in IDPA (SSP division).
    I started shooting IDPA in 2012 and have only shot the classifier twice. First time was in April 2012 with a score of 139.71 sec. and second time was
    in October 2012 where I scored 119.84 sec. I didn’t get to shoot the classifier in 2013 but I think breaking 98 seconds is reasonable for this year.

2. Get my average cold run for the FAST under 7 seconds. My biggest problem is missing too much. Getting to where clean runs 4 out 5 times is normal
    for me would put me most of the way there. It gets frustrating when I will be doing 20 hits and get 5 or 6 clean runs in a row, then look at my FAST
    and see that I have a hard time getting 3 straight runs with no misses on the 3x5.

3. Get my average on the 99 drill over 75. The 99-drill is what I credit the most for my overall improvement over the past year (thanks Jody). I still drop a
    lot of points from late shots due to my slow time to first shot (especially on the first string of fire) but I also have to concentrate on accuracy at
    speed which seems to be my biggest weakness. My long term goal is get a score of 90 at which point I will switch to using the 3x5 card, but I don’t
    think that is realistic for this year.

4. Shoot the BE 1000 at least 5 times this year. Because someone around here said you can’t be too accurate.

5. Get serious about dry fire. My dry fire practice has been intermittent and inconsistent. I have both the Dave Anderson and the Ben Stoeger dry fire
    books, now I need to get my money’s worth out of them so I can reach my other goals.

Any comments, critiques, or observations are welcome. I want to thank everyone here on the forum for the advice and encouragement I have received here. While I don’t post very often, I do read the forum several times a week and continue learning a lot here.

Finally, since we all seem to like numbers here, in 2013 I shot 9,916 rounds and had 7 stoppages. These consisted of two failures to extract, three failures to feed, and two failures to fire (one of which was a dead primer). I used 2 identical Smith Wesson M&P9 full size pistols equipped with Apex DCEAK triggers and stock sights. I did upgrade to Trijicon HD sights on both of them as a Christmas present to myself at the end of December.

According to IDPA's website, the current time to make Master in SSP is 91.00 or less.

Good improvement so far, hope this next year goes well for you.

Typo on my part, thanks for catching it. I find it helps me stay motivated to see that I actually am getting better.

We are diminished
    Kudos on improvement. Bigger kudos on aiming for greater improvement next year!

User Tag List