Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Realization about my carbine technique

LL are you still shooting 5.45?

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Did you take you a lot of dedicated practice to be accurate at 100+ using such a hold, or did it come naturally?
    Naturally. Not sure if it was exacerbated by the GSW to my elbow or not but now I do it on both sides. Last time, I really pushed it was with an Army sniper buddy of mine. We playing "Horse" on roughly 4" targets or so out to 120 yards. He had a .308 MWS with a 1-6x and I had my Aimpoint. We made a point of trading weapons and kept on dinging targets

However, said buddy does the exact same thing with the pec hold.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    LL are you still shooting 5.45?
    Yup. The second barrel is going strong and lasting a lot longer than the first. It's a fairly lube sensitive gun (only with regards to the corrosion) and the Fireclean an SME here gave me is working out quite well so far. Second barrel is also quite accurate.

I still chuckle about all of the people who told me that 5.45 surp was going to dry up five years ago.....
    #RESIST

Yeah, I took a quick look at that on Ammoseek over the weekend, on a whim....and just about plotz'd. Not only does there appear to be TONS of it out there, it's cheap as ****.....!

No wonder you chose it... What's the usual go-to recipe? I was looking at 60gr ball, I think, and it was just crazy-cheap compared to current 5.56/.223 prices.

And same-same with stock placement, regardless of type. Once I started getting issued an M4 instead of a musket, did so to make up for how armor makes a shoulder-pocket disappear, and have just kept doing it with everything, ever since.

Ya I imagine that corrosion is not good for the BCG. What's some of the biggest problem spots on your carbine from the corrosion? Also have you tried Rand CLP? Buddy is using it in the field and loves it on everything from his M4 to the 240.

I have varied technique depending if I am shooting in armor or not. It is just a necessity of the gear in many instances, and no I don't just stick with only one technique to make it consistent across the board which is more BS in my opinion. Definitely more inbound toward the center line of the body on the inner part of the pec if possible. Hard armor may dictate something a bit different.

I notice similar patterns in a shooters technique be it long gun and / or pistol as skill levels change. A newer shooter will obviously have a less then ideal technique, they tend to be more upright or even a rearward upper body lean, less stable and sloppy in their platform and recoil management. This is to be expected. As they progress and start gaining more knowledge over recoil management and multiple round strings of fire their shooting platform adapts and becomes more aggressive. They then arrive at a point where they think they know quite a bit, confident bordering on cocky about their skills. They tend to get into an overly aggressive platform, some have called it the TT or tactical turtle (TT can be applied to long guns and pistols) but with so much tension into the body, particularly upper body from the hands all the way to the shoulders and neck and a huge compression of the head between the shoulders, IMO they are actually holding themselves back from truly achieving the next level of proficiency and skill level. Finding that balance of recoil management without trying to over power the technique and weapon while maintaining proper body position and tension is where we want to be.

I too adapted my rifle platform directly from my competitive shotgun days and originally applied that to the M16 or rifle length AR15's about 25 years ago, which is similar to what people are trending towards these days with the M4 / AR platforms and longer rails. I got to admit that through the 90's early 2000's in the HK MP5SD days we adopted that platform and techniques shifted for that weapon, but as we transitioned back to the M4 platform and longer rails, I naturally progressed back into my shotgun technique that I used 25 years ago with the rifle length AR/M4. Wasn't very popular in my peer group as the magwell hold still dominated even with the M4 and I was definitely on the outside of technique. Of course the "outstretched grip" has become quite a controversial topic over the last few years due to certain training outfits, popular training DVD's and with so many people going to a very exaggerated form of this outstretched grip technique folding it into a tactical turtle but I think that as a shooter truly gains more knowledge and skill they loosen up that technique a bit, use a more heads up orientation with less muscle tension in the arms to the shoulders and neck. Again I think this applies with the pistol as well. Sloppy technique as a new shooter, turns into an overly aggressive technique with way too much head drop and muscular tension and as they get more skilled then a transition to a more relaxed happy medium results as they start taking their game to the next level.

Again my current rifle technique if I am shooting from a static, standing, unsupported position looks almost identical to my traditional competitive shotgun form with a slight variation in my support hands grip where I C-Clamp the forend and because of this have less or no pointing of the support hands index finger along the axis of the barrel. That is a trade off that I accept for recoil management vs pointability with the index finger.

I use this technique with my carbine too.

I grew up shooting skeet and trap, with a Dad that was a competitive skeet shooter, and found moving the stock toward midline was helpful in managing recoil, and staying down "on the gun".

I've had a few instructors also teach this in rifle courses.

Without armor, this definitely works well for me, keeping it close to centerline. However, at work if I'm going to be shooting it will be while wearing an IOTV, which makes this pretty difficult based on the thickness of the armor. For those of y'all that also have to deal with this, what are y'all doing to deal with the IOTV? Running close to center, or the stock in a notch or two?

It's interesting, but this is something I just recently had a funny reminder of how much I was doing. I started bringing the butt stock of my M4 onto my pec area, just off of the SAPI plate when I was shooting in body armor in the Army. I never really noticed just how far I brought it in, it just feels natural now when I'm shooting a long gun. A few weeks ago I shot about 200 rounds out of an M1 Garand and about 25 full power 00 buckshot shells out of an Ithaca 37 with a steel buttplate. When I got home and took a shower I noticed the HUGE bruise on my right pec, and the smaller bruise on my left (I was shooting the Garand a little left handed for fun). I didn't even feel it until I saw it in the mirror.

When I was running an M4 in body armor I was using an old style Colt M4 butt stock, all the way collapsed to the rifle, tucked in right next to the SAPI plate. I noticed that the newer Colt buttstocks didn't work as well doing this. No idea how a modern stock like the SOPMOD or CTRs would work out, YMMV and all that.

User Tag List