Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Realization about my carbine technique

Quote Originally Posted by ffhounddog View Post
    I have been doing this for a few years really works well and makes you a smaller target while letting you control the rifle better.
    Smaller target? Really? Squaring yourself up to the target area properly aligns your plate carrier and/or soft armor to protect your vitals, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't do anything to reduce cross-section. If anything, the opposite is true compared to a bladed stance, which of course has the notable downside of pointing your rifle plates away from incoming fire.

I find it funny that its assumed fire fights always start or end perfectly facing a target. Recoil management is what really came out of this technique.. Not optimum protection.
    Last edited by breakingtime91; 01-07-2014 at 10:54 PM.

I've been doing this for a long time. Came from my shotgun technique. It was always hard to find a perfect pocket with armor on, and I could shoot a lot with magnum buck and slugs by shooting off my armor over the pecs rather than in the shoulder. I just carried it over to the carbine. I first saw the technique and adopted it from one of our officers who was a very serious skeet and trap shooter. He had a weird stance that had the shotgun almost centered in the chest and used perfectly fitted Krieghoff's. Guy was amazing and I saw the advantage of his stance and shotgun placement.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

You bring up an interesting point, D. While I can shoot 5.45 and 5.56 in just a t-shirt all day long, I'm a lot happier shooting shotguns and larger-caliber rifles with my Limbsaver pad on. I've already been considering picking up a soft-armor vest, mostly because I've been muzzle-swept enough times at public ranges in the last few years to think ballistic protection would be a good idea. I can't take credit for this idea -- several of my friends went down this road years ago after some incidents at ranges here in the Bay Area.

Would a Level II concealable-type vest yield roughly the same recoil-dispersing effect as a Limbsaver pad? Or would I need to step up to a thicker/heavier vest to get that?

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Yep. I want that sucker as close to the centerline of my body as possible. I do it with shotguns too.
    I'm with Caleb, only I'm no expert. Especially when it comes to carbines.

I do however find "as close to centerline" to be perfect for me. I notice it most in follow up shots. With a brake and a suppressor and 5.56, the gun seriously doesn't move. I can rattle off as fast as I can pull the trigger. Transitions are smooth (but I need a lot of practice), and the speed from low ready to firing is a hair faster in my experience. As the gun rolls onto my centerline, I'm already doing the push/pull method before I'm on my sights. With the "pocket" position, my perception is that I have to wait for the gun to "settle" before I can push/pull.

That's just my experience, and I'm sure there are many more qualified and more knowledgeable than me.

This works especially well for home defense since I sleep in armor.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    ...and now I've got the image of Kevlar footies in my head. Thanks a whole bunch.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Don't own any armor myself.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Don't own any armor myself.
    Gamer!!

Gamer!!

Yup.
    #RESIST

User Tag List