Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Realization about my carbine technique

Realization about my carbine technique

I'm placing the buttstock way inward, on my right pectoral muscle, and...."it works for me." Anyone else do this?
    #RESIST

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    On a 5.56 carbine I go stock to nipple. I think I got this from Hackathorn.

On a 30 cal I put it in the pocket.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I'm placing the buttstock way inward, on my right pectoral muscle, and...."it works for me." Anyone else do this?
    Yes. I try to keep my head straight side-to-side while leaning it on to the stock.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

When I went through SOI, a instructor taught us to shoot that way. I can't remember what made him start shooting like that (some fight in Iraq) but it was because it made you face the target, instead of the tendency that marines had to blade towards the target, exposing their sides.

Yes, but only out to 50yards.

Recoil wise, Your chest is an immovable mass compared to your jointed shoulder.

FWIW, they taught my buddy to shoot this way when he attended PMI/CMT school at Quantico circa 2005-2006.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Yes, but only out to 50yards.

Recoil wise, Your chest is an immovable mass compared to your jointed shoulder.

FWIW, they taught my buddy to shoot this way when he attended PMI/CMT school at Quantico circa 2005-2006.
    I don't know, I've used it way past 100 yards.
    #RESIST

I split the difference between "pocket" vs "stock to nipple". I have a positive ape index (long arms), use a c-clamp grip on a 15-inch tube and primarily shoot with a 1-4X MTAC optic. I've found that bringing the stock all the way inboard onto my pec interferes with left arm/hand positioning and comfort for me.

The only time I seat the stock into the pocket is for prone precision shooting at 75+ yards, and that's so I can get opposing lateral pressure between my cheek weld and shoulder pocket.

Yep. I want that sucker as close to the centerline of my body as possible. I do it with shotguns too.

I don't know, I've used it way past 100 yards.
    I've noticed my accuracy drops off significantly past 50 yards using a pectoral hold. I shake too much, and it just seems so much easier to move it over a few inches to the shoulder and all is well. Did you take you a lot of dedicated practice to be accurate at 100+ using such a hold, or did it come naturally?

FWIW, I use a VLTOR IMOD stock, 1 position from fully extended. Longer or shorter seems to make it uncomfortable. Using a pec hold naturally makes me c-clamp the gun, even before c-clamping became the fad. I guess it's basic body mechanics....I never realized I was doing it until I saw some dude with a beard on youtube doing it.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

I have been doing this for a few years really works well and makes you a smaller target while letting you control the rifle better.

User Tag List