Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ultrasonic cleaner recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by irascible_joe View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. I will probably pick up one of those Lyman/Harbor Freight/Brand X 2.5 liter units when I find a good price.
    Harbor Freight has their version on sale for $75 right now.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTrevor View Post
    Harbor Freight has their version on sale for $75 right now.
    I bought the Harbor Freight one. I have just I've issue with it: it comes with a tray, rather than a basket. You can get a basket that fits, but it's like $12 and then stupid shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by LHS View Post
    I bought the Harbor Freight one. I have just I've issue with it: it comes with a tray, rather than a basket. You can get a basket that fits, but it's like $12 and then stupid shipping.
    You can use an unraveled clothes hangar to fashion yourself two handles, one on each side using the little holes in the tray. At least that's what I did. Or, just use good gloves.
    CC
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

Quote Originally Posted by cclaxton View Post
    You can use an unraveled clothes hangar to fashion yourself two handles, one on each side using the little holes in the tray. At least that's what I did. Or, just use good gloves.
    CC
    I'm more worried about the long-term effects of cases vibrating against the side walls of the tank without the intervening basket.

Do you have a link the the basket in question on their site? Or did you spot it someplace else?

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Do you have a link the the basket in question on their site? Or did you spot it someplace else?
    Amazon. There's a generic version called the model 4280. You can search on that and find a compatible basket.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846

Ah, thank you kindly.

For cleaning guns I've had mixed results with ultrasonic cleaners. Sometimes the guns come out really clean, other times I still have to hit them with brushes and picks to get heavy carbon off. I was also told by a buddy of mine that his department was advised by sales rep to not leave guns in for more than 4 minutes as it could cause problems with the parts. If that's the case then how many times would it take before the cumulative total of multiple cleanings caused the same issue?
    For brass cleaning I'm running 3 tumblers, one is the pre clean, then 2nd stage clean, then after loading I tumble in the third tumbler to remove lube and put a final polish on the case. However I recently had some rifle brass get ink stains on them from the box they were in. Thick ink too, transferred through from the box due to a cloth wet with solvent sitting against it. My tumblers did nothing, the corn cob media stuck to the ink. So in desperation and not wanting to toss 15 once fired Lapua cases I gave them to a friend with rotary tumbler filled with stainless steel media. 2hrs and the brass looked like new, primer pockets, head stamp, you name it, you could not tell there was ink on the cases. So now I'm buying one of those setups for brass, probably go with a small, plastic tub, cement mixer to do the volume I want to do. I saw a thread somewhere where someone had rigged a drying box up to their furnace, as the furnace draws air through the cold air return it passes over the brass and dries it. Pretty slick, a bit beyond my skills, but still interesting.
    ...and to think today you just have fangs

Rob Engh
    BC, Canada

For you folks that are reusing your cleaning liquid, how are you getting it out of the cleaner? There's a gap at the top of the tub on mine, and it looks like it'd just pour down into the guts of the machine and cause issues.

For you folks that are reusing your cleaning liquid, how are you getting it out of the cleaner? There's a gap at the top of the tub on mine, and it looks like it'd just pour down into the guts of the machine and cause issues.
    Previous versions of the ultrasonic cleaner sold under many brands, including Harbor Freight, had issues with liquid getting into the interior. I took the covers off mine with an eye towards using a good silicone caulk to seal up any gaps, but everything was so tightly fit and gasketed that no sealing was necessary.

Perhaps a few beads of silicone laid into the gap would take care of any such issues? That's the solution (heh) I've seen recommended many times over.
    Looking for a gun blog with AARs, gear reviews, and the occasional random tangent written by a hardcore geek? trevoronthetrigger.wordpress.com/
    Latest post: The Rogers Shooting School Experience (15 Jul 2014)

User Tag List