Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ultrasonic cleaner recommendations

Ultrasonic cleaner recommendations

I'm starting to explore the idea of buying an ultrasonic cleaner large enough to accommodate a service-size pistol (or at least the top and bottom halves, separately) and other smallish parts, maybe up to the size of an AR-15 BCG.

Could anyone offer advice on the concept in general, or recommendations on specific models of cleaners and types of cleaning solutions?

i have this one and this one

The small one I picked up just to try out and it works pretty well but is small. After using it a couple years my wife bought me the other one for fathers day. The larger size is nice because you can fit an entire slide or frame of an auto in it. Another nice thing about the big one is that it has a heater to warm the liquid as well as the ultrasonic transducer is much stronger.

I use a solution of water and about 10% Simple Green.

To keep from wearing out the bottom of the tank, be sure to keep the plastic screen in place to prevent metal on metal during cleaning.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by irascible_joe View Post
    I'm starting to explore the idea of buying an ultrasonic cleaner large enough to accommodate a service-size pistol (or at least the top and bottom halves, separately) and other smallish parts, maybe up to the size of an AR-15 BCG.

Could anyone offer advice on the concept in general, or recommendations on specific models of cleaners and types of cleaning solutions?
    I wanted a cleaner to clean my bicycle parts and my guns.

About two years ago, I bought one of these:

http://www.harborfreight.com/25-lite...ner-95563.html

For the price, it works OK. This basic unit is sold in a lot of places, and by shopping around and looking for coupons, you could probably get it for $50-60, maybe even cheaper.

After using that for a while, I decided I wanted something better, and a bit larger, so I bought one of these:

http://sra-solder.com/product.php/66...liter_capacity

They have several sizes on their website. It works OK, but I'm not sure that it was worth the premium cost. There's nothing specific I don't like about it, but for the money I'm not overwhelmed either.

This is something I've been researching quite a bit lately. I wanted to go ultrasonic primarily for cleaning brass. That way any lead contaminant is suspended in the water and not airborne as a result of case media separation via the tumbler method.

There's a good number of options out there and one of the industry leaders is right here in California, http://www.omegasonics.com

Unfortunately, their cheapest tabletop unit is like 1300 bucks. Since I really don't want to spend that much money, I opted for a Hornady Magnum ultrasonic cleaner that I got on sale from big supply for $180.

http://www.hornady.com/store/Lock-N-...aner-110-Volt/

http://www.bigsupplyshop.com/Hornady...0_p_17856.html

It should be here on Monday and I'm looking forward to trying it out.

God bless,
    David

Slip 2000 725 cleaner works very well in an ultrasonic cleaner
    http://www.slip2000.com/slip2000_725.php

i will use Simple Green or Purple Power (or whatever generic is cheapest at Home Depot) with water when cleaning parts prior to refinishing but they will flash rust sometimes. If I'm cleaning a firearm, I'll use the 725 because it has rust inhibitors in it.
    Dave Berryhill

Received my Hornady Magnum Ultrasonic cleaner. Ran a few thousand dirty cases through it and I'm very happy with the results.

The Negative:

It doesn't get the brass as bright and shiny on the outside as tumbler media (corn/walnut) does. (I don't really care how shiny my brass is on the outside as long as it's clean).

The Pros:

-It cuts cleaning time down by 1/3rd. What took a couple hours in the tumbler only takes aprox' a half hour in the sonic cleaner. (However, I'm not factoring in the drying time of the cases. I let then sit over night by the fan and in the morning they were dry.
    -It cleans the inside of the brass and primer pockets whereas tumbler media doesn't. (To really get the primer pockets clean, you have to decap before you clean. In the future I'm not going to add this additional step because it takes more time than it's worth for me.)
    -It removes the exposure of airborne lead contaminant by virtue of the water based cleaning solution. (This is one of the main reasons why I wanted it.)
    -It makes handling the brass much cleaner. (Tumbler media always leaves a 'dusty' film on the cases that would end up on my hands and equipment. With the sonic cleaner, once the water evaporates, the cases are left squeaky clean.)

Here are a few pictures.

First batch in the tank.

Clean brass on left compared to dirty brass on right.

Primer pockets and inside of cases like new.

The above cleaned brass is rather quite used. I'd say I've reloaded it about eight times.

It seems like a good machine. I'll see how it holds up.

God Bless,
    David

David,
    What is the noise level like compared to a tumbler? I've been intrigued by the sonic case cleaning but have heard mixed reviews, looks like yours is doing a good job.

I bought one of these for my pistols, and it works great. I found a used one on ebay for $40. Only thing is the maximum run time is like 150 seconds. But I just reset it a few times. I like to use the low-vapor mineral spirits. I use it outdoors and reuse the mineral spirits...keep it in an old plastic gas can. The carbon/residue settles out and it is clear after sitting for a couple of days. ALL lubricants are removed from the gun, so it needs a complete re-coating of lube/protectant. Also, watch out for parts being vibrated free during the process. My hammer-spring pin vibrated loose without the grips to hold it in place, for example. I use compressed air to blow-dry after coming out of the bath.

http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/c...asecleaner.php
    They are marketed under other brand names as well.
    CC
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

Quote Originally Posted by JeffJ View Post
    David,
    What is the noise level like compared to a tumbler? I've been intrigued by the sonic case cleaning but have heard mixed reviews, looks like yours is doing a good job.
    As far as decibels go, I'd say they are about the same, it's just a different type of sound. It comes with a lid, but the lid is absolutely useless when the unit is running. You can't put it on because the basket handles are in the way. I guess it's there just to keep dust out when the unit is off. It would probably make very little noise if they figured out a way to make the lid work.

God Bless,
    David

Thanks for the feedback. I will probably pick up one of those Lyman/Harbor Freight/Brand X 2.5 liter units when I find a good price.

User Tag List