Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Big Green introduces a single stack 9mm

Oils and Lotions SME
    The sad thing is that my initial thought was: wow, I wonder how this new pistol will suck. I think I'm getting jaded.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    At that price, I'll be buying one just to have along with my two original Model 51s. It'd be a bonus if it worked.
    You need to talk them into some sort of .32cal version.

The choice of only the grip safety is interesting. Maybe they learned from watching the Kimber Solo that selling a single action design doesn't get adoption outside of a small number of 1911 believers looking for a hipster alternative.

Since they also seem to be trying to redefine the operating mode with new branding language, it may be they are attempting to model on the Springfield XD and sell grip safety plus single action, but seems like they don't want to get caught up in losing bids which exclude single action designs. And who knows, maybe also trying to go for an IDPA SSP classification, but given capacity probably wasn't a prime concern. Not sure if they get there by emphasizing hammer vs striker.

I like the slim design. Withholding judgement on the platform until I can play with it, but as always skeptical of grip safeties on weapons intended for serious purposes in case of wounds to operator hands.

I'd like to see drop test results and design features. I am also sure some folks will have to work with it more than a bit to get a feel for whether the trigger and grip safety handling characteristics would define whether or not this might be appropriate for AIWB carry (and I don't see a gadget like option here).

Seems like Crimson Trace already has a laser option. If so, good to see manufacturers pre-coordinating platform support with high demand vendors. A good lesson from the success of the Shield launch.

Color me green but I really dig the looks of that gun. I also thought the Walther P5 and HK P9 were extremely cool looking too.

I hope it goes off without a hitch.

I might just break down and buy one just because I think it looks cool. (I haven't done that since the late '90s and the Walther P5)

I am usually not a fan of grip safeties, but if it works well, and doesn't lock the slide, I think I could work with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    At that price, I'll be buying one just to have along with my two original Model 51s. It'd be a bonus if it worked.
    That was my first thought upon seeing this: "Tam'll buy one just because it's an updated version of a cool old gat."

Well, look who kicked over the apple cart!
    It's like Remington engineers looked into the future and read the Glock 42 and P7 threads on here!

While the sights are kinda funky, they are both dovetailed in, so "meh". Who here doesn't install aftermarket sights on their serious pistolas anyway?

While I agree with most others about grip safeties in general, this one being practically the entire backstrap makes it a horse of a different color. Depends on just how much spring pressure is required to overcome, but just from looking I really can't see a way to fire this thing without depressing the safety, that wouldn't keep the gun from flying out of your hand on recoil.

I have mixed feelings on the trigger. While it should be an excellent shooting gun, I worry about the "woobie" factor Nyeti talks about in combatives use. Obviously none of us have coon fingered it yet, but off the top of my head I'd be more comfortable, particularly with no manual safety, with something along the lines of the LEM, or Para's LDA. Judging from the animation, such a thing shouldn't be that difficult to incorporate into the design, but I'm no engineer.

The price point is incredibly attractive! I expect this to be the darling of SHOT.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    You need to talk them into some sort of .32cal version.
    I'd like to find an original 51 in .32. Those almost all went overseas.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

From the side, it sorta resembles a Whitney Wolverine, eh?

I too have an original 51 in .380. The only thing that bothers me a bit regarding this concept is, just how complex will it be? The 51 is an intricate critter; not quite as bad as a Colt 1903, but close.

However, it is, without doubt, a natural "pointer"; feels REALLY good in the hand. The R-51 appears to be a bit thicker; how much that will affect the feel remains to be experienced.

They have my attention with this one. A co-worker headed to Vegas has strict instructions to get as much gouge as he can on it. The only problem there is that he has huge hands...

Meanwhile in Georgia, a Glock SHOT show rep kicks his dog in frustration.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    Meanwhile in Georgia, a Glock SHOT show rep kicks his dog in frustration.
    I would not like to be a Glock rep's dog.

User Tag List