Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Disadvantages to staying with one gun long term

Site Supporter
    I like to change it up. Sometimes it's because the guns won't run, like the Gen4 19s, but usually it's because I get bored and want to learn something else.

I try to stick with a gun for a year, but that doesn't always work out.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    I've been pretty much exclusive to the Beretta 92 for going on 3 years now. Oh, I've flirted with other things, so it's not like the 92 is the only gun I've shot in that time, it's just that I never really warmed up to any of them and stuck with the Beretta.

Now I am happy with my gun, but I do wonder if there is some drawback to not exploring more than I have. I've shot all the major makes and models of service pistols, and tried a few different ones out for a month at a time, but since I never stuck with any of them longer than that, I never really got deep into what they might do better or worse for me.

I guess, in a roundabout way, I'm asking if there is any serious training disadvantage to being "too faithful" to one gun, even if it is the one you shoot the best.
    I think it depends on what you want. If you want to be really good or great with that gun, I think you're doing the right thing by sticking with it.

If you want to be decent or proficient with lots of different guns, I think you should switch guns regularly. Personally, I like to be proficient with lots of different guns (handguns and long guns). But you end up being a "jack of all trades, master of none."

If you feel like your skills might be lacking in some area, but you're not sure, try shooting (your Beretta) in different types of competitions to see where your weaknesses are and what you need to work on. The more different the type of shooting, the better. It's easy for someone to be very good at one type of shooting (whatever that may be), and think they are better than they really are. Don't take that the wrong way--I'm not implying that's what you're thinking.

Joe Mamma

I believe you should master your carry weapons. These are the most likely weapons you will use. 640s etc... and Glocks have been a constant since 1990 for me. I am considering a long term switch to P30 LEM 9mms to replace the Glocks. The J frames will stay. I am not smart enough to carry a different gun every week and run them at speed with flow.
    I also think you should be able to run adequately anything you are likely to run across. Think emergency use of someone's weapon. This is less likely. I am always interested in shooting other peoples different gear. I always learn something.

Site Supporter
    Nothing wrong with trying other platforms. For every individual, some platforms have steep and long learning curves, some platforms are the opposite. It is nice to know that there are a few platforms out there that really work for you.

However the decision to evaluate another platform comes at an opportunity cost of continuing the learning, gear, and ammo for your "old" platform.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Because of the logistical train that I believe should come with a CCW pistol, I tend to change carry guns less often than the country changes presidential administrations.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Oils and Lotions SME
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Because of the logistical train that I believe should come with a CCW pistol, I tend to change carry guns less often than the country changes presidential administrations.
    I'm with you, all of the support equipmet is an expense I'm not willing to face unless I need to change for some reason. It's way cheaper to buy identical (ish) backups.

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by Aray View Post
    I'm with you, all of the support equipmet is an expense I'm not willing to face unless I need to change for some reason. It's way cheaper to buy identical (ish) backups.
    This is why I love this place. On most forums you'd be reading about "CCW rotations."

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    This is why I love this place. On most forums you'd be reading about "CCW rotations."
    I wandered over to another forum the other day following an OC thread and realized how much I appreciate this place on a daily basis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't carry a DA wheelie as the main artillery, but I do try to shoot them often as I feel it helps refine my trigger control.

Plus I like shooting those ancient relics. It helps channel my inner McGivern.
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Very good point, logistics is a huge issue.
    Having 3+ pistols identically set up, 20+ magazines, right and left hand holsters, magazine carriers, parts, sights you like, all of this complicates change. Also you need to test all of your carry pistols, ammo is expensive. I change seldom.

User Tag List