Page 1 of 152 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: HK Striker Fired

HK Striker Fired

I saw this posted in another thread by Todd G and thought it would make a great new thread. So anybody have any info on this product?

The major delay in the HK striker gun has been trying to get the production cost down to the point where it can be more competitive price-wise with Glock. That's not to say they'll flush quality down the toilet nor will the gun necessarily be the same price as a Glock, just that they know a $900 SFA isn't going to accomplish what they want in the marketplace.

Probably end up looking exactly like a Walther PPQ.
    I just hope they maintain mag compatibility with the USPc/P2000 or the P30.

With the USBP contract expiring H&K needs a striker fired pistol to compete with the M&P.
    I know several of the USBP/FLETC firearms guys who are pushing hard for the M&P over renewing the P2000 contract.
    A striker fired pistol with the same profile (holster compatibility) as the P2000 that takes the same mags might be an advantage in maintaining that contract.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    Probably end up looking exactly like a Walther PPQ.
    I just hope they maintain mag compatibility with the USPc/P2000 or the P30.

With the USBP contract expiring H&K needs a striker fired pistol to compete with the M&P.
    I know several of the USBP/FLETC firearms guys who are pushing hard for the M&P over renewing the P2000 contract.
    A striker fired pistol with the same profile (holster compatibility) as the P2000 that takes the same mags might be an advantage in maintaining that contract.
    That would be a significant cost reduction. I wonder if it would be possible to just update the trigger group.

I certainly hope they are smart enough to make sure the new gun (whenever it comes) will have the same mags as the P30. I hope this gun comes to life much sooner than I anticipate it really will.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianB View Post
    That would be a significant cost reduction. I wonder if it would be possible to just update the trigger group.
    Sure. It's called the LEM system.

In all seriousness, that's as close as you're going to get to striker-type action with the HK modular action.

Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cylindros View Post
    I certainly hope they are smart enough to make sure the new gun (whenever it comes) will have the same mags as the P30. I hope this gun comes to life much sooner than I anticipate it really will.
    It would seem to me it would have to address lower round count if its going head to head with S&W or Glock.

Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cylindros View Post
    I agree. Based on how HK standardized on the USP Compact magazine design for the P30 and P2k families, and the advantage of selling into their installed base of users with the "no new mags/pouches" argument, I think there's hope that they will do the right thing.

The real question is whether Gunter in Germany will be able to resist the temptation to tinker with critical slide/trigger-guard dimensions so the new SFA gun will fit into P2000 holsters...

We are diminished
    CBP just has some guys who want something new & shiny. The HKs have been serving them well and while I'm sure there are some that are worn out the majority probably haven't reached the point of needing major maintenance much more replacement. They're reliable, accurate, durable, safe, and have a consistent trigger pull (which has been a big INS/BP thing since long before DHS existed). The M&P will, at best, deliver the same qualities at the cost of all new guns, mags, holsters, spare parts, retraining, qualification, etc.

If you've never been part of a major agency firearm procurement before it would probably make your head spin to know how most of them progress. But it almost always starts out with, "some guns who want something new & shiny."

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTrevor View Post
    The real question is whether Gunter in Germany will be able to resist the temptation to tinker with critical slide/trigger-guard dimensions so the new SFA gun will fit into P2000 holsters...
    OTOH, if they keep the same frame and slide profile they cannot address the screams about "high bore axis!"

Quote Originally Posted by BrianB View Post
    It would seem to me it would have to address lower round count if its going head to head with S&W or Glock.
    For me, the round count is not an issue. It's my opinion that Glock (and others) cram too many rounds into a given space resulting in mags that are difficult to seat on a closed slide along with other issues. HK mags do not suffer from these issues and they are the better for it in my humble opinion. A difference of two rounds is a non issue for me.

User Tag List