Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Shotgun Standards

Thank you, 167. I will add those to my book.

What we need is a shotgun skills test similar to Mike Seeklander's handgun skills test that has an open ended scoring system that can be used to track performance over time. Not just relatively simple pass/fail metrics.

Quote Originally Posted by 167 View Post
    What we need is a shotgun skills test similar to Mike Seeklander's handgun skills test that has an open ended scoring system that can be used to track performance over time. Not just relatively simple pass/fail metrics.
    I am absolutely no guru at all, and I've never slept in a Holiday Inn Express.

But something I have tried, when I get several passing scores in a row is switch to the other shoulder. It's honestly a useful thing for me to do, since I'm left-eye dominant and right-handed. Since the shotgun is a manipulation-intensive weapon (or it sure is for me, anyway), it helps me a lot. I've also had challenges with broken/sprained hands and ankles over the last year, so it's proven valuable in that respect as well. I bought a bunch of aluminum dummy rounds, and worked on loading and running the shotgun with dry practice sessions.

Just my two not very shiny cents. I'm certainly no expert on the shotgun or any other firearm. But it does help me a bit.

I am definitely appreciating all the input everyone has in this thread, thank you all very much.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    I am absolutely no guru at all, and I've never slept in a Holiday Inn Express.

But something I have tried, when I get several passing scores in a row is switch to the other shoulder. It's honestly a useful thing for me to do, since I'm left-eye dominant and right-handed. Since the shotgun is a manipulation-intensive weapon (or it sure is for me, anyway), it helps me a lot. I've also had challenges with broken/sprained hands and ankles over the last year, so it's proven valuable in that respect as well. I bought a bunch of aluminum dummy rounds, and worked on loading and running the shotgun with dry practice sessions.

Just my two not very shiny cents. I'm certainly no expert on the shotgun or any other firearm. But it does help me a bit.

I am definitely appreciating all the input everyone has in this thread, thank you all very much.
    Shooting from the off side shoulder is a good skill to have in the tool box with any long gun.
    Pat

It's honestly a useful thing for me to do, since I'm left-eye dominant and right-handed. Since the shotgun is a manipulation-intensive weapon (or it sure is for me, anyway), it helps me a lot.
    I have astigmatisms in both eyes, but the one in my dominant eye is worse. When I first got corrective lenses a little over a year ago, it took a while for my eyes to adjust, and my non-dominant eye tried to take over. It made shooting quite a challenge.

Two advantages to running the shotgun from your left shoulder would be having the sights in front of your dominant eye, and it would allow you to look directly into the ejection port without rolling the gun.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskapopo View Post
    Shooting from the off side shoulder is a good skill to have in the tool box with any long gun.
    Pat
    Yup, definitely agree. If I have to clear my house working outwards from the master bedroom, more than half of the corners require using the off-side shoulder. I checked that a couple of years ago, and remember it was more than half.

I'm not wanting to get this into a pistol/shotgun/carbine/Claymore mine debate for home defense, just agreeing on the applicability of the technique.

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    I have astigmatisms in both eyes, but the one in my dominant eye is worse. When I first got corrective lenses a little over a year ago, it took a while for my eyes to adjust, and my non-dominant eye tried to take over. It made shooting quite a challenge.

Two advantages to running the shotgun from your left shoulder would be having the sights in front of your dominant eye, and it would allow you to look directly into the ejection port without rolling the gun.
    Chief, I run an Aimpoint H-1 on my primary HD shotgun, and have found that helps me. I also have "experienced" eyes, with the corresponding astigmatism.

I've had to do some more practice with the Side Saddle when running the shotgun left-handed with an Aimpoint, but did not experience a lot of trouble. Since I had standardized on brass up, it was still pretty quick.

For a shotgun, anyway.

We now return you to the discussion of shotgun standards, already in progress.

One problem I see with shotgun quals on the police level anyway is we use paper targets even with buck shot which makes scoring a nightmare. I think that courses of fire using steel targets is far better for the shotgun.
    Pat

I think using a pass/fail standard as opposed to an actual score makes a lot of sense with the shotgun. For example, all rounds/pellets must hit inside this scoring zone to pass and there is not an actual score assigned.

Yup, definitely agree. If I have to clear my house working outwards from the master bedroom, more than half of the corners require using the off-side shoulder. I checked that a couple of years ago, and remember it was more than half.

I'm not wanting to get this into a pistol/shotgun/carbine/Claymore mine debate for home defense, just agreeing on the applicability of the technique.
    Claymore mines now that is something I had not thought about. Lol. Agreed no reason to debate what matters is your skill with the weapons mentioned and your comfort level with them. Stay safe.
    pat

User Tag List