Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Shotgun Standards

FBI Shotgun Course

The above link is to the course we shot at the FBI Firearms Instructor Course.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

I'd definitely be interested in the GPSTC Shotgun Instructor course of fire. I have an Aimpoint H-1 on my primary 870, and have it set for 50 yards with the Federal LEB127 DPRS slugs.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    I'd definitely be interested in the GPSTC Shotgun Instructor course of fire. I have an Aimpoint H-1 on my primary 870, and have it set for 50 yards with the Federal LEB127 DPRS slugs.
    I emailed one of the instructors and asked for a copy of it. Somewhere I may have a printed copy of it, but that course was a couple of residences ago...
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Thanks very much!

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    I got a call from the Bat Phone. Here's the drills, copied down from an old mimeo sheet (so you know it's authentic):

LAPD D Platoon Shotgun Qualification

Ammo: Requires two slug rounds, eleven 00 Buck rounds (9-pellet loads).

Scoring: Total possible points = 200. Divide the number of points by 2. Maximum possible score = 100 percent.

1st Phase: Two slugs at 25 yards. Start from low ready, fire 1 shot at center of mass in 2.5 seconds. Repeat. Hits in the 9 or 10 ring = 10 points. Any other hit on target equals 5 points. 20 points are possible for this phase.

2nd Phase: Two 00 Buck rounds at 15 yards. Fire 1 shot in 2 seconds. Repeat. This totals 18 pellets. Any hit in the 9 or 10 ring equals 2 points. Any other hit on target equals 1 point. Approximately 30 points on this stage. Fifteen yards is an estimate with Remington 870.

3rd Phase: Two 00 Buck rounds at 10 yards. Fire 1 shot in 2 seconds. Repeat. This totals 18 pellets. Approximately 33 points possible on this phase.

4th Phase: Two 00 Buck rounds at 7 yards. Fire 1 shot in 1.5 seconds. Repeat. This totals 18 pellets. 36 points possible on this phase.

5th Phase: Two 00 Buck rounds at 5 yards. Fire 2 rounds in 2 seconds. This totals 18 pellets. 36 points possible on this phase.

6th Phase: Three 00 Buck rounds at 3 yards. Failure Drill. Start from an under arm assault position. Fire one pair center of mass, assume the shoulder-sighted stance and fire one head shot, in three seconds. Body shots scored as above, 36 points possible. Head shot is scored one point for each pellet which strikes the head. 45 possible points on this phase.

Total points possible for the course is approximately 200 divided by 2 = score in percentile.

Passing score = 90 percent, with all projectiles on the target.
    What target are we supposed to shoot this on?

I am not much of a shotgunner but I thought the FBI Shotgun course was a good CoF. I like to shoot it on an IALEFI-Q.
    C Class shooter.

Quote Originally Posted by shootist26 View Post
    What target are we supposed to shoot this on?
    Back in the days it was written, a B27.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

GPSTC Shotgun Instructor standards:

SHOTGUN INSTRUCTOR
    SHOTGUN QUALIFICATION COURSE

AMMUNITION: 10 ROUNDS REDUCED RECOIL SLUGS.
    10 ROUNDS REDUCED RECOIL 8 PELLET "00" BUCKSHOT

II. TARGET: (3) SQT-A1's PER SHOOTER

STAGE 1: 50 YARD LINE - ASSEMBLY AREA LOAD WITH FIVE ROUNDS OF "00" BUCKSHOT IN THE SHOTGUN. ON COMMAND, THE SHOOTER WILL MOVE BEHIND COVER, PERFORM AN AMMO EXCHANGE DRILL (BUCKSHOT TO RIFLED SLUG). THE SHOOTER WILL HAVE SIX SECONDS TO FIRE ONE RIFLED SLUG ROUND. THIS PROCEDURE WILL BE CONDUCTED FIVE TIMES. ALL FIRING IS FROM THE SHOULDER.

STAGE 2: 25 YARD LINE - SHOOTER WILL ASSEMBLY AREA LOAD WITH 5 ROUNDS OF SLUGS. SHOOTER WILL MOVE TO COVER ON COMMAND AND FIRE 1 ROUND ON ONE TARGET IN 4 SECONDS FOR A TOTAL OF FIVE ROUNDS.

STAGE 3: 25 YARD LINE - SHOOTER WILL COMBAT LOAD 5 ROUNDS OF "00" BUCKSHOT. THE SHOOTER WILL MOVE TO COVER AS THE TARGETS TURN AND FIRE 5 ROUNDS AT 2 TARGETS, WHICH FACE IN RANDOM ORDER FOR 10 SECONDS.

STAGE 4: 15 YARD LINE - SHOOTER WILL LOAD TO GUN BOX READY - THE SHOOTER WILL MOVE TO COVER AS THE TARGETS TURN AND SHOOT (4) FOUR ROUNDS OF "0O" BUCKSHOT, THEN COMBAT LOAD AND FIRE ONE (1) ROUND OF "00" BUCKSHOT. A TOTAL OF FIVE (5) ROUNDS WILL BE FIRED ON TWO TARGETS, WHICH WILL FACE IN RANDOM ORDER, FOR A TOTAL OF TEN (10) SECONDS.

IV. SCORING: SLUGS WILL BE SCORED 10 POINTS FOR "A" ZONE HITS AND 5 POINTS FOR HITS OUTSIDE THE "A" ZONE BUT STILL WITHIN
    THE SCORING AREA. TOTAL POSSIBLE POINTS FOR SLUGS WILL BE 100 POINTS.

"00" BUCKSHOT WILL BE SCORED AS 5 POINTS FOR EACH HIT WITHIN THE SCORING AREA OP THE TARGET. TOTAL POSSIBLE BUCKSHOT SCORE OF 400 POINTS.

RAW SCORE: 500 POINTS TOTAL - MINIMUM QUALIFYING SCORE: 400 POINTS - 80%

(Revised 050499)

Thanks for the new post, Chief. I normally load my shotguns with the Federal 8-pellet loads, so this is a great addition for me.

Have a safe weekend.

Here is the current NRA LE Shotgun Instructor qualification (at least it was current as of a couple years ago)

Total Rounds: 10 slugs
    Target: NRA TQ-21
    Required Score: All 10 slugs must hit the silhouette. Rounds partially breaking the edge of the silhouette do not count.

Stage One - 25 Yards
    • Load to Cruiser Safe with 1 rounds and go to Port Arms position.
    • On commande fire 1 rounds standing. Combat load 1 rounds, drop to a kneeling position and fire 1 round.
    • Time limie is 15 seconds.
    • After the above stage, have shooter load the shotgun to full capacity.

Stage Two - 15 Yards
    • From shoulder ready position.
    • On command fire 2 rounds standing and 1 round kneeling.
    • Time limit is 8 seconds.

Stage Three - 7 Yards
    • From ready position.
    • On command fire 3 rounds.
    • Time limit is 10 seconds.
    • From shoulder ready.
    • On command fire 1 round, move left or right and fire 1 round.
    • Time limit is 6 seconds.

A fairly easy qualfication. I also have a copy of an older NRA LE Shotgun Instructor qualification that is a little more difficult.

Total Rounds: 20 (4 slug, 16 00 Buckshot)
    Required Score: All slugs and pellets must impact the silhouette. Slugs/pellets partically breaking the edge of the silhouette count as misses.

Stage One - 25 yards
    • Shooter from behind available cover at the Slung/Muzzle Down position is loaded to cruiser safe with 4 slugs.
    • All rounds fired from the standing position.
    • Use cover, fire 2 rounds strong side of cover.
    • Transfer shotgun to support shoulder and shife to opposite sife of cover.
    • Fire 2 rounds support side of cover.
    • Time limit is 25 seconds.

Stage Two - 15 Yards
    • From standing position fire 3 rounds.
    • Peform combat reload with 3 rounds.
    • Drop to a kneeling position and fire 3 rounds.
    • Time limit is 30 seconds.

Stage Three - 7 Yards
    • From ready, fire 2 rounds in 4 seconds.
    • From shoulder ready, fire 2 rounds in 3 seconds.
    • From safety circle facing right, pivot and fire 2 rounds in 4 seconds.
    • From safety cirlce facing left, pivot and fire 2 rounds in 4 seconds.
    • From safety cirlce facinf rear, pivot and fire 2 rounds in 5 seconds.

That COF also is harder, but still pretty easy. The time limits are pretty generous, as is typical. I have actually started shooting the NRA LE Patrol Rifle Instructor qualification course with the shotgun.

Total Rounds: 30
    Required Score: All rounds must be on the silhouette. Rounds partially breaking or outside the scoring line are considered misses and the shooter is deducted 10 points per miss. Minimum score is 90%.

Stage One - 50 Yards (Slugs)
    • From standing, drop to a kneeling position and fire 3 rounds in 20 seconds.
    • From standing, drop to a prone position and fire 3 rounds in 20 seconds.

Stage Two -25 yards (Slugs)
    • Using cover, fire 3 rounds from the strong side shoulder, transition shoulders and fire 3 rounds from the support side of cover in 25 seconds.

Stage Three - 15 Yards
    • Fire 3 rounds standing, perform a combat reload while moving to a kneeling position and fire 3 rounds kneeling in 25 seconds.

Stage Four - 7 Yards
    • From a shoulder ready position, fire 3 rounds in 2 seconds.
    • From a shoulder ready position, fire 2 rounds center mass, 1 round to the head.
    • From safety circle facing right, pivot and fire 2 rounds in 3 seconds.
    • From safety circle facing left, pivot and fire 2 rounds in 3 seconds.
    • From safety circle facing rear, pivot and fire 2 rounds in 4 seconds.

Still not perfect, but harder. The close range time limits are pretty good if you are running a pump. You generally have to use a pretty tight shooting buckshot to stay inside the scoring line on the TQ-21 at 15 yards. I use Federal loads with the Flite Control wad, or Hornady loads with the Versatite wad.

User Tag List