Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New S&W 929 for 2014

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    We can be friends again. The idea of putting 29 in the designation for a 9mm is a sin. 990 or 948 would have made more sense.
    Another +1 but I would have preferred the 927 or 928 similar to my past 940. Of course if someone new to the game saw a 940 for sale on GB he/she might think of .40 caliber. This is getting too complicated.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    (It's an obvious outgrowth of the .38 Super PC627s...)
    All the more reason to call this a 627-whatever, the .38 Super was a -4 I believe. I don't understand this new designation either, and it's bothering me.

My only real concerns with this new model are price and bore diameter.
    Shooter's Digest Blog

Quote Originally Posted by 66L View Post
    bore diameter.
    I was wondering about that myself. I seem to recall some of the .38 Super PC guns coming with a bore diameter sized for .357 bullets and not the .355 bullets that the .38 Super shoots, leading to some rad accuracy issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    Only if it actually works.

Having to eject cases with a mallet (or your ticket-writing pen) is a no-go in a real fight.
    FIFY.

Yeah, another neat idea that didn't pan out. First year they were available, I saw a couple of dozen of them at in-service as BUG/off-duty iron. Each year, that number dwindled as their true nature became apparent to the troops. A buddy up at my old troop, a hard-core gun dude who knows what he is about, was the last hold-out. He finally gave up in 2004 or so.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    FIFY.

Yeah, another neat idea that didn't pan out. First year they were available, I saw a couple of dozen of them at in-service as BUG/off-duty iron. Each year, that number dwindled as their true nature became apparent to the troops. A buddy up at my old troop, a hard-core gun dude who knows what he is about, was the last hold-out. He finally gave up in 2004 or so.

I tried everything to get mine running, and so did S&W, twice it went back to the factory. They eventually replaced the 940 with a new 640 for my trouble.
    Last edited by Chuck Haggard; 12-27-2013 at 05:32 PM.

As a side note:

Speaking as a Smith revolver nerd, that model designation makes me itch. The last two digits make you think it's a .44 Mag N-frame with some exotic new frame material other than stainless or Al/Sc alloy.
    This. I had a fleeting dream of a built-up .44 Mag designed to compete with the Rugers for heavy loads. Imagine my disappointment when I see this football bat.

Although, I do see the point when it comes to competition stuff.

I tired everything to get mine running, and so did S&W, twice it went back to the factory. They eventually replaced the 940 with a new 640 for my trouble.
    Ugh! Well, you've cured my interest in a 9mm J Frame...Thanks for the insights.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    I tired everything to get mine running, and so did S&W, twice it went back to the factory. They eventually replaced the 940 with a new 640 for my trouble.
    What, sticky cases like a Model 53?
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

What, sticky cases like a Model 53?
    Yes. With the cases moon clipped together sometimes they would stick enough that if you tried to palm the extractor rod hard you could injure yourself. I hit mine hard enough one time during a qual to put a hole in the side of my palm. When one has to have a stout barricade post on hand to beat the rod against several times in order to get the case unstuck it's a real problem.

I woulda figured that a tapered case with a nickel finish wouldn't stick like that. I figured wrong.

I guess I'm just weird but I have zero expectation of reloading a J-frame in a fight. In my mind, the compelling use for a J-frame is as something that can be screwed into someone's side and fired until it goes click. If you don't have a second one, I think that expecting to reload one is the height of optimism.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

User Tag List