Thread: question on frame cracking

question on frame cracking

I'm not well versed on this site's search function, so please forgive my question if it has been addressed before.

Just how common are cracked frames in S&W J-frame airweights? When it happens, is it more likely caused by high round count, high +p round count, or low round count coupled with over-torqued barrels?

I have a 642 that I use for training and a seperate 642 for carry. The first gets shot a lot and the second almost never. This is due exclusively to my concern over cracked frames.

Even the steel j-frames don't seem to be immune, yet I have never heard of one in an SP101, and I thought Ruger's investment castings were less dense (more brittle?) than Smith's forged frames.

They are not common, though not unheard of. The cause is USUALLY (but not always) indicated by the location of the fracture. For instance, a crack underneath the rear of the barrel, in the yoke cut-out, just about always says over-torqued barrel.

A crack (or stretch marks) in the top strap means too much shooting, or too high a pressure on the ammunition.

Unless your 642 is an early (pre +P rated) example, and/or you shoot a lot of +Ps, I wouldn't worry too much about it. A +P rated alloy gun, shot with mainly standard-pressure ammunition, should last a good long time. But keep an eye on it, just in case…

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by Moonshot View Post
    I'm not well versed on this site's search function, so please forgive my question if it has been addressed before.

Just how common are cracked frames in S&W J-frame airweights? When it happens, is it more likely caused by high round count, high +p round count, or low round count coupled with over-torqued barrels?
    In a decade and a half of working in places that fixed busted guns, every single cracked J-frame I saw with my own eyes was an overtorqued barrel cracked right there by the yoke cut. I have seen pictures of frames cracked in other places, but I think that says something about relative commonness of the two.

And, fwiw, I doubt it was a total of a half-dozen guns I saw with that problem in that time period, so it's not really that common a thing.

I've seen a lot more guns just flat blowed up than I have wore out.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

User Tag List