Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AIWB Holster - M&P Shield

AIWB Holster - M&P Shield

After ~4yrs of appendix carry, with a variety of other holsters and larger\heavier guns, I know exactly what I want for the shield, but am having some trouble locating it.

The closest I seem to come is a phlster skeleton or a JM Customs AIWB or IWB V3. (for the life of me I cant tell the functional diff between the AIWB and Zero Canted V3, anyone?)

What I'm looking for in particular is very thin construction, preferably of .060 Kydex, with a relatively low ride, and a minimal sweat guard.
    I also do not want any wedges or extra tuck ramps as these only add to the thickness behind the belt. I am not concerned with the butt printing on this firearm compared to my other carries.
    Additionally, I prefer some sort of clip, at a single central point, to minimize length on my belt and easy on\off. Ideally, it would be the metal clip that High Noon uses, but I'm ok with kydex\plastic if it's well done. Retaining the clip on my belt isn't an issue for me as I sandwich it between the webbing layers of a WT belt and have never had a clip pop off. I am also generally not a fan of snap loops.

At first glance, the phlster skeleton comes closest, but I've never had a holster work for me that supports the gun from the bottom with a stay.
    Nor have I ever had a holster work for me that has this stay offset from the slide as it generally makes the gun tilt and flop and can get in the way of the grip\draw.
    Otherwise I really like what i see. Does anyone know what thickness the construction is here?
    Besides the INCOG clip stays, what other clips will work with PHLster's skeleton hole spacing? Comptac? CCC clips?

With the JM Custom's, I see theyre made from .080 which is OK, but would prefer it be thinner. I have experience with carrying a thicker\heavier gun OWB with .060 construction with no issues.
    I really like how the belt attachment is at the TOP of the holster and that it's generally from a single point, though I would prefer if it was a tad narrower to allow the gun to tilt and move with me when needed. Also as noted, I am confused to what the functional differences are between the AIWB and V3 IWB with 0° cant. I am also uncertain as to the overall thickness due to molding of both of these holsters. From the description, the AIWB seems to read that it comes standard with a wedge, which I DO NOT want, whereas no mention is made on the V3 IWB though it is an option. Furthermore, I can apparently order the V3 with a clip whereas I cannot with the AIWB. Add in the pricing differences between the two seemingly identical holsters and suffice it to say I am confused.

I have ruled out other popular holsters such as the shaggy, INCOG, and AA for some reasons noted in here as well as some others.

Basically I want the closest thing to an uncle mike's open top IWB that has a little retention and allows for reholstering
    OR
    A thinner\slightly higher riding version of the High Noon Mr Softy with a little bit of a sweat guard.

Is there another holster I'm overlooking?
    Can anyone comment on the V3 / AIWB differences?
    Will the Phlster or one of the JM's really do what I want?
    Other advice?

Easy... Fist #1K or a #K7 depending on what belt attachment you prefer.
    Pretty much every single person I've recommended the #1K to has loved it for small single stacks like the Shield, PPS and Kahr.
    The clip on the #1K has a pronounced "hook" on the backside that will not come off your belt unless you want it to, not as nice as the Highnoon C-clip but pretty dang close and the Kydex on mine is .045".
    I have a #1K for my PPS and another for my PM9 and my wife has one for her Shield.
    Last edited by JodyH; 12-23-2013 at 09:58 PM.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

thanks for the suggestion!

The 1k looks really promising.
    Couple of questions if you know, as I wasnt able to find the answer on their website.

How thin is their "thin" kydex?
    And stitched kydex? A quick search shows some reports of these things ripping at the stitching. Has me a bit worried about that especially with a thinner kydex.

I've got a PHLster Access and couldn't be happier. It's built like a tank, great warranty and customer service. It fits perfect, and the quality of work they do over there is incredible. Of all the kydex holsters I've used, nothing comes close to fitting as well as the Access and the amount of detail they take in making sure the fit and finish is 100%.

www.phlster.com

They no longer use the INCOG clips for the Access, the clip quality has changed and they aren't as good anymore. They now use a Raven Concealment bracket with a soft loop and it works great.

I just called them up and ordered a #1K, so i don't know what's standard and what's thin.
    I know of five #1K's in use at our local concealed carry matches, and several are also daily carry rigs and none of them have had any stitching issues.
    My PM9 holster has seen a lot of use during the summers and has held up fine.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

I would contact Tom at Dark Star Gear. I LOVE his normal AIWB holster for the Shield. He uses a method for keeping the gun tucked that does not add extra material behind the grip.

While mine has soft loops, and slightly thicker kydex (I believe .080)... I know he has done holsters with a belt clip. He very well may be able to adapt his excellent design for your needs.

Quote Originally Posted by lightning fast View Post
    I would contact Tom at Dark Star Gear. I LOVE his normal AIWB holster for the Shield. He uses a method for keeping the gun tucked that does not add extra material behind the grip.

While mine has soft loops, and slightly thicker kydex (I believe .080)... I know he has done holsters with a belt clip. He very well may be able to adapt his excellent design for your needs.
    Very happy with my lime green AIWB for my PPS.

Thought I would quickly follow-up.

Traded a few emails with Tony at JM Customs and got all my questions answered.

The IWB V3 has no wedge in the stock configuration whereas this feature is standard on the AIWB.
    Additionally, it does not have the rolled edges of the AIWB version to prevent edges digging in.
    Tony indicated that the AIWBs take a bit more labor to finish with all of these features.

Anyway, I asked if he could add the rolled edges to V3 and he can.
    That's just what I ordered, along with the clip and an additional solid loop just in case. Should be just about right.
    Looking forward to it and will follow up with some thoughts and pictures when it arrives.

Thanks for all the excellent suggestions.

Is he able to do it in .060 for you or is .080 the only option?

Thanks
    Harold

Quote Originally Posted by pechelman View Post
    Thought I would quickly follow-up.

Traded a few emails with Tony at JM Customs and got all my questions answered.

The IWB V3 has no wedge in the stock configuration whereas this feature is standard on the AIWB.
    Additionally, it does not have the rolled edges of the AIWB version to prevent edges digging in.
    Tony indicated that the AIWBs take a bit more labor to finish with all of these features.

Anyway, I asked if he could add the rolled edges to V3 and he can.
    That's just what I ordered, along with the clip and an additional solid loop just in case. Should be just about right.
    Looking forward to it and will follow up with some thoughts and pictures when it arrives.

Thanks for all the excellent suggestions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by punkey71 View Post
    Is he able to do it in .060 for you or is .080 the only option?

Thanks
    Harold
    Tapatalk
    We talked about that a tad and he recommended the .080 and really only goes down that small.

After some thinking, I think this was a good call.
    The OWB holster that uses .060 is a pancake\sandwich construction, so where the belt loops fasten, they are going through 2 sheets of .060.
    On the JM IWB's, the belt clips\loops\etc only go through the one piece of matl, so it's fair to use a thicker material unless one finds a way to locally reinforce\backup the mounting holes with another sheet of kydex. Probably easy to do, but just adds cost\complexity.

Anyway, excited for it to show up and 4 weeks cant go by fast enough now

User Tag List