Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Texas DPS going to 9mm M&P.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    That's just silly.

Engraved 1911s with scrimshawed grips. And hand tooled leather. Everybody knows that.
    I see no problem with this, other than the leather needs to be prison leather. And the grips need to be ivory. And the finish needs to be bright nickel. And they need to be made by Colt.

SAAs are courtroom guns. Everyone knows that.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    And one of the few FAM shootings I am aware of had the .357Sig fail the lightening bolt test.
    Unpossible my friend. Haven't you ever listened to Massad Ayoob? His voice is so soothing....

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Unpossible my friend. Haven't you ever listened to Massad Ayoob? His voice is so soothing....
    I actually talk to Mas fairly regularly, mostly via e-mail. But yeah, well aware of his opinions. I still recall his article in Combat Handguns way back when in which he outlined why the 125gr JHP was the shizzle in the .357mag. His info, mostly, came from Keith Jones on the effectiveness of that loading in Tam's neck of the woods.

I respect both Mas and Keith a great deal, but in the shootings I have seen locally with the 125gr Remington version (which would do an honest 1500fps from my 4" Security Six) I wasn't nearly as impressed.

I group "stopping power" in my head loosely, in groups; pocket pistols, service pistols, rifles, buckshot, and shotgun slugs. Rifles and slugs tend to be in the same ball park, along with very close range buckshot (or even closer birdshot hits), service handguns and buckshot at distance run about the same, pocket pistols at the bottom of the heap.

I group "stopping power" in my head loosely, in groups; pocket pistols, service pistols, rifles, buckshot, and shotgun slugs. Rifles and slugs tend to be in the same ball park, along with very close range buckshot (or even closer birdshot hits), service handguns and buckshot at distance run about the same, pocket pistols at the bottom of the heap.
    Absolutely.

We spend a bunch of time arguing about the marginal differences between different entries in the same categories. There's a difference between a service pistol and a pocket pistol that's pretty easily observed. The difference between 9mm and .40? Maybe not so much.

Happens in other venues too, like the blood thirsty discussions about the difference between 7mm Rem Mag and .300 Win Mag for elk...

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    More or less my interpretation as well. I have long since stopped fretting about it, really...

I actually talk to Mas fairly regularly, mostly via e-mail. But yeah, well aware of his opinions. I still recall his article in Combat Handguns way back when in which he outlined why the 125gr JHP was the shizzle in the .357mag. His info, mostly, came from Keith Jones on the effectiveness of that loading in Tam's neck of the woods.

I respect both Mas and Keith a great deal, but in the shootings I have seen locally with the 125gr Remington version (which would do an honest 1500fps from my 4" Security Six) I wasn't nearly as impressed.
    Since I don't see a .357 Magnum heading in Doc's ammo stickies (unless I glossed over it), what makes you feel all warm and fuzzy in a 3-4" barrel?
    IIRC, the 145 grain Silvertips actually weren't all that bad back in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Sotex View Post
    Since I don't see a .357 Magnum heading in Doc's ammo stickies (unless I glossed over it), what makes you feel all warm and fuzzy in a 3-4" barrel?
    IIRC, the 145 grain Silvertips actually weren't all that bad back in the day.
    I was super happy to be carrying the 125gr back in the day. Knowing what I know now I'd go with almost any 140-180gr JHP. The .357 Silvertip is a very good load for being old school, but most of the generic 158gr JHP loads are also pretty good.

Long ago I carried 125gr. Super Vel in my .357 revolvers and 110 gr. Super Vel in my .38 revolvers.

Quote Originally Posted by JBP55 View Post
    Long ago I carried 125gr. Super Vel in my .357 revolvers and 110 gr. Super Vel in my .38 revolvers.

I ended up with 125gr Remington .357 in my Security Six, Rem 158gr LSWCHP in my Cobra, and the speedloaders full of 125gr Remington +P because I could then reload either gun with the same loaders.

I a familiar with a shooting which was the third or fourth after a state agency went to 357 Sig. The first shootings were all one shot stops and impressed everyone, IIRC one was at 60 yds. The officer involved in the next shooting was stabbed by his suspect after he shot him once with a 357 Sig in the lower abdomen. The suspect eventually expired but it was touch and go for a while while the trooper fought with the suspect until the BG eventually bled out. When asked why he did not shoot the suspect a second time, the trooper said words to the effect that he had expected the suspect to be torn in half based on the earlier shootings. He was so shocked when the BG did not disappear in a cloud of smoke and sparks that he stood in gawking during which time the suspect closed with him and the hand to hand commenced. Talk about building up unreasonable expectations.....

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

User Tag List