Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Texas DPS going to 9mm M&P.

Like any other pistols, including Glocks, the M&P's have had a few issues along the way. However, reliability has not been a huge issue. Like I recently wrote at LF, there were some problems with M&P strikers breaking during dry firing without the use of a snap cap, but the striker redesign has helped. Never seen any light primer strikes. Very early on (circa 2006) there were some issues with dead triggers, but those were quickly solved with a larger sear spring. Other than that, I've never had a problem with M&P triggers and in fact have always preferred them to Glock triggers--the lack of distinct reset is utterly a non-issue for me, as I cannot feel it when shooting quickly. There were some right side slide release lever tabs breaking off (note that this did not inhibit pistol function); the new part seems to have solved that.

That just leaves accuracy. All the M&P45, M&P40, and M&P9c I've been around have shot very well--on par accuracy wise with any similar pistols from other vendors. For me, the only M&P accuracy issues have been some inconsistency from M&P9's. As an example, we recently compared a dozen new OEM M&P9's with a dozen new OEM gen 3 G19's right out of the box after zeroing, using 10 rounds of Federal AE9FP 147 gr FMJ fired at an NRA B8 target at 25 yds slow fire. The best accuracy from the M&P9's was 98-3x; the best from the G19's was 99-6x. The worst accuracy from the M&P9's was a 90-0x and an 89-1x; the worst accuracy from the G19's was a 92-1x. In short both pistol types exhibit acceptable accuracy for duty use.

Now here is the big difference--the addition of a match barrel like a KKM to almost any G19 can significantly improve accuracy (like to 100-9x; still have not hit a 100-10x, but that is my goal this year), while the addition of a match barrel to M&P9's does not seem to improve things as much, if at all, in many pistols.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    There were some right side slide release lever tabs breaking off (note that this did not inhibit pistol function); the new part seems to have solved that.
    FWIW: Mine always broke on the left side.

I'm glad to hear it's fixed.

... using 10 rounds of Federal AE9FP 147 gr FMJ fired at an NRA B8 target at 25 yds slow fire...
    For what it's worth, this has been the most inaccurate ammo I have tried out of my three recent production M&P9's (May/June test fire dates with all the latest parts). All three guns will shoot 5 - 6" groups with one or two non-called fliers per ten rounds with AE9FP 147 gr FMJ and 147 TMJ Speer Lawman (53620). Without the mysterious flyers, the groups are closer to 3". All three guns shoot consistently well, as in 3" or less from a rest, with 124gr Blazer aluminum, 124gr Speer Lawman, and 124gr Speer Gold Dot (+p and standard pressure).

Quote Originally Posted by Beat Trash View Post
    I would think that if you're daughter were going to have failure to extract and/or failure to eject issues, you would have noticed it by now.

I would breath easier if I were you.
    Heard from the son-in-law… my baby girl has put another 300 rounds through her 9C, in three separate sessions, with no malfunctions and increasing accuracy (she's learning the gun, IOW).

So, perhaps all is well…

98z28--Strange isn't it, as the AE9FP 147 gr FMJ has proven to be one of the more accurate 9 mm loads out of our Glocks, with multiple 100 pt scores, including a 100-9x at 25 yds on an NRA B8.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Like any other pistols, including Glocks, the M&P's have had a few issues along the way. However, reliability has not been a huge issue. Like I recently wrote at LF, there were some problems with M&P strikers breaking during dry firing without the use of a snap cap, but the striker redesign has helped. Never seen any light primer strikes. Very early on (circa 2006) there were some issues with dead triggers, but those were quickly solved with a larger sear spring. Other than that, I've never had a problem with M&P triggers and in fact have always preferred them to Glock triggers--the lack of distinct reset is utterly a non-issue for me, as I cannot feel it when shooting quickly. There were some right side slide release lever tabs breaking off (note that this did not inhibit pistol function); the new part seems to have solved that.

That just leaves accuracy. All the M&P45, M&P40, and M&P9c I've been around have shot very well--on par accuracy wise with any similar pistols from other vendors. For me, the only M&P accuracy issues have been some inconsistency from M&P9's. As an example, we recently compared a dozen new OEM M&P9's with a dozen new OEM gen 3 G19's right out of the box after zeroing, using 10 rounds of Federal AE9FP 147 gr FMJ fired at an NRA B8 target at 25 yds slow fire. The best accuracy from the M&P9's was 98-3x; the best from the G19's was 99-6x. The worst accuracy from the M&P9's was a 90-0x and an 89-1x; the worst accuracy from the G19's was a 92-1x. In short both pistol types exhibit acceptable accuracy for duty use.

Now here is the big difference--the addition of a match barrel like a KKM to almost any G19 can significantly improve accuracy (like to 100-9x; still have not hit a 100-10x, but that is my goal this year), while the addition of a match barrel to M&P9's does not seem to improve things as much, if at all, in many pistols.
    What happens with 115gr ammo?
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

98z28--Strange isn't it, as the AE9FP 147 gr FMJ has proven to be one of the more accurate 9 mm loads out of our Glocks, with multiple 100 pt scores, including a 100-9x at 25 yds on an NRA B8.
    No doubt. Also strange is that my older M&P's grouped well with 147gr ammo and did poorly with lighter loads in general. I sometimes wonder if Smith is just screwing with us for fun at this point.

jlw,

Mine do about as well with the 115gr loads I've tried as they do with 147gr loads - acceptable, but not great.

Maybe it's the twist rate......

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Site Supporter
    Bill,

Can the eccentric chambers you've identified on this platform lead to poor extractor performance?
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Riehl View Post
    Maybe it's the twist rate......

Sorry, couldn't resist.
    Just because it's wrong, doesn't mean it's not funny...

User Tag List