Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Texas DPS going to 9mm M&P.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Riehl View Post
    Rifling twist was not the issue.

There is more than one issue.

Bill, do you think it could of been addressed in the newer gen guns? I have been around 3 newer guns recently all shot on par with glocks. Also do you have a theory on why the compact do not seem to suffer the same problems?

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    Bill, do you think it could of been addressed in the newer gen guns? I have been around 3 newer guns recently all shot on par with glocks. Also do you have a theory on why the compact do not seem to suffer the same problems?
    Each one I saw had definable manufacturing flaws, ranging from wildly eccentric chambers (most common) to warped slides (these couldn't be made to shoot).

The twist theory and early unlocking theory (and I admit, I bought into the early unlocking idea early on) are/were easily shown not to be the case.

Bill,

So mostly quality control issues? Is it possible they buttoned down with these "new" gen guns and improved those flaws? I can see a company trying to account up the accuracy changes to barrel twist rate and not bad QC... Thanks for your input on this.

Bill,

So mostly quality control issues? Is it possible they buttoned down with these "new" gen guns and improved those flaws? I can see a company trying to account up the accuracy changes to barrel twist rate and not bad QC... Thanks for your input on this.
    On the guns I've seen, yes.

As for the problem being fixed - no idea. I don't think the twist/unlocking ideas were ever put forward by S&W, but I'm not positive.

Thanks bill, always good hearing way you think on things like this

What do you mean by accuracy issue? How inaccurate and how Tested was it to see if it was consistently the gun? Not trying to nit pick but just trying to be thorough.
    I bought an M&P9c shortly after they were introduced. I've had no issues with it as far as reliability or accuracy.

When my agency transitioned from our first M&P9/M&P9c's to our latest version of the same platform last year, I purchased one of the unissued M&P9c's to be used for my wife. Seemed like a good idea at the time. Accuracy from a rest at 25 yds was around 5" plus, with all ammunition tested. (RDS are not an option for us, so I do not use them off-duty.)

While this may not be in the same ball park with those who experienced accuracy issues with some of the full size guns, it is at least double of what my first M&P9c is capable of. I was left with trying to deal with the issue or move on. After some range time, my wife decided she liked shooting the full size gun and the Shield much better than the compact. No matter which compact it was that she shot. So when someone offered me the right price for the newer compact, I sold it off.

I did have to purchase another Shield for her, so that mine didn't "disappear" My Shield was out of the first batch released when the gun was announced at the NRA show in 2012. Her's was made last summer. I can't tell any difference in performance between either one. Both are outstanding for a gun their size.
    Last edited by Beat Trash; 04-08-2014 at 09:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Beat Trash View Post
    I bought an M&P9c shortly after they were introduced. I've had no issues with it as far as reliability or accuracy.

When my agency transitioned from our first M&P9/M&P9c's to our latest version of the same platform last year, I purchased one of the unissued M&P9c's to be used for my wife. Seemed like a good idea at the time. Accuracy from a rest at 25 yds was around 5" plus, with all ammunition tested. (RDS are not an option for us, so I do not use them off-duty.)

While this may not be in the same ball park with those who experienced accuracy issues with some of the full size guns, it is at least double of what my first M&P9c is capable of. I was left with trying to deal with the issue or move on. After some range time, my wife decided she liked shooting the full size gun and the Shield much better than the compact. No matter which compact it was that she shot. So when someone offered me the right price for the newer compact, I sold it off.

I did have to purchase another Shield for her, so that mine didn't "disappear" My Shield was out of the first batch released when the gun was announced at the NRA show in 2012. Her's was made last summer. I can't tell any difference in performance between either one. Both are outstanding for a gun their size.
    On a completely unrelated side note to anything, I think it's a shame we've not ever gone shooting together considering our general proximity.
    J.M. Johnston
    Host of Ballistic Radio - Sundays at 7:00 PM EST on Cincinnati's 55KRC THE Talk Station, available on iHeartRadio

When life shows down a bit in a couple of months, might just have to take care of that...

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    I was super happy to be carrying the 125gr back in the day. Knowing what I know now I'd go with almost any 140-180gr JHP. The .357 Silvertip is a very good load for being old school, but most of the generic 158gr JHP loads are also pretty good.
    I shot a nice IN WT 8pt buck using GP100 3inch and 125SJHP. I shot it in the heart at about 7y. Had broken leg. It drop in the ditch . nice clean kill . thank God.

Im so glad I got smart and switch to the FBI load.

Quote Originally Posted by Beat Trash View Post
    When life shows down a bit in a couple of months, might just have to take care of that...
    You or anyone from the department has a standing invitation to come to the studio on show day whenever you/they would like. Unless they're a dick, then they're not invited.
    J.M. Johnston
    Host of Ballistic Radio - Sundays at 7:00 PM EST on Cincinnati's 55KRC THE Talk Station, available on iHeartRadio

User Tag List