Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: KSTG at NRA on New Year's Eve

We are diminished

KSTG at NRA on New Year's Eve

As of yesterday there are only five people signed up for the New Year's Eve match at the NRA.

If the match doesn't come close to filling by close of business on Monday, it will be canceled.

If you wish to sign up and haven't, you can call 703-267-1402 between now and Monday evening.

Love to be there Todd, but I have other plans (that don't include traveling 1300 miles.)

Someone else will just have to finish last place.
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

I have plans on NYE, but if I didn't, I would consider going.

Before I show up at one of these, I had some questions. I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to competition. I'm competent with gun handling and shooting, and I've taken a few classes that went beyond punching holes in stationary paper, but most of my shooting is the usual non-tactical stuff at an indoor range. I do go about 2x or 3x a month, and I try to mix it up with some drills, including drawing, and I did shoot at a IPSC or IDPA competition a long time ago. Would these KSTG matches be good for me, or would I be way out of my league? If they are a good fit, they sound like something I would be interested in attending regularly since I don't live too far away.

Quote Originally Posted by NETim View Post
    Love to be there Todd, but I have other plans (that don't include traveling 1300 miles.)

Someone else will just have to finish last place.
    I'm checking, that might have to be me.

Quote Originally Posted by trailrunner View Post

Before I show up at one of these, I had some questions. I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to competition. I'm competent with gun handling and shooting, and I've taken a few classes that went beyond punching holes in stationary paper, but most of my shooting is the usual non-tactical stuff at an indoor range. I do go about 2x or 3x a month, and I try to mix it up with some drills, including drawing, and I did shoot at a IPSC or IDPA competition a long time ago. Would these KSTG matches be good for me, or would I be way out of my league? If they are a good fit, they sound like something I would be interested in attending regularly since I don't live too far away.
    I think you would be fine if you take your time and don't draw from concealment. You wouldn't be the first newbie so don't worry. Just tell the match personnel that this is your first match and BE SAFE.
    #RESIST

well I'm in,5:00

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I think you would be fine if you take your time and don't draw from concealment. You wouldn't be the first newbie so don't worry. Just tell the match personnel that this is your first match and BE SAFE.
    Thanks for the response. I have taken CCW classes where I drew many times from concealment, but will default to keeping it simple the first time the timer is running.

Totally agree on safety being the number 1 (and number 2 and number 3...) priority. I would rather be laughed at because I'm slow rather than do something stupid. In my one and only competition, I finished DFL, but I finished ahead of the guy who was DQ'd because of a safety violation.

I'll try to catch it next time.

We are diminished
    Concealment is required at KSTG matches. Just go slow and be safe until you're comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by trailrunner View Post

I'd actually describe KSTG as one of - if not the - most accessible matches I've participated in. The match atmosphere is fairly low key as well. Since it is your first KSTG match, I'd ask the guys if they could put you last in the firing order so you could observe some others run through before taking your turn. As others have said, go slow and take your time.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

I'm in for 9:00PM, and I got my friend to sign up on that relay too (it'll be his first time at KSTG, but I'm sure he'll be OK)...and hopefully my other friends will sign up as well.
    "WHAT?!? I CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER THE SOUND OF HOW RIDICULOUS YOUR GUN IS!" - TLG

User Tag List