Page 8 of 120 FirstFirst ... 6789101858108 ... LastLast

Thread: Big Bore carry/general purpose outdoorsmen revolver pic and discussion thread

Can't speak to the 10mm, but I know there was one case of a .45acp being used to stop a bear in Alaska a few years ago.

About a year ago, Alaska Magazine had an update on a long running study of the use of firearms during bear attacks. Amazingly, handguns were a smidge more effective than long guns. The handguns included .357, 9mm and a number of cartridges you wouldn't consider bear stoppers.

Like people, apparently a lot of bears decide to go elsewhere when shot anywhere with anything. If you are willing to assume a body shot will do the job, almost anything should work. The worst case scenario, and what concerns me, is the determined bear that will attack until stopped with a CNS shot. With a handgun, that most likely means the upper CNS. Which brings you back to wanting a handgun/cartridge combination capable of penetrating a brown bear's skull to reach the brain at 10-15 yards, from a range of angles.

Heavy long gun cartridges like .45-70, .375 H&H and Brenneke 12 gauge slugs obviously give you more options to stop a charge, but the handgun maybe what you have at that moment.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I thought I posted this earlier, but the response seemed to disappear.

In Alaska, I see a fair number of .500 class revolvers, in SA and DA variants, mostly on out of state visitors. There is a predictable pattern. On morning one, they are out with their .500, usually in a chest rig of some sort. By the afternoon of day one, they are tugging at the chest rig, trying to reposition it for comfort. By day two, the .500 is in the plane, or on the ATV, but no longer on their person. Not surprising as it weighs half as much as a guide gun or 870.

In the early 2000's, I saw a ton of Scandium 329 .44's on outdoorsy folks, but especially pilots. Lately, the four inch .44 seems to have frequently been supplanted by a Glock 10 or .40.
    I've never had a problem wandering around the woods with a 3"-4" steel N-frame, but that's in November-December in the lower 48, not February in Alaska.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

I'd heard about the 45 auto being used, though we don't have any details that I've heard of, like what load, where the bullets hit and what they did to the bear.

The point about the heavy rifle bullets and quality penetrating shotgun slugs is well made, the part about giving more options in particular. The range of angles being a worthwhile consideration. In defensive aspects regarding people, we have info about "X number of inches is considered optimal". In larger critters, I'm of the mindset that I'd prefer the bullet to stop sometime next week, and shooting through a couple trees and a half acre of dirt after going through the critter from any angle. That's a slight exaggeration, but I have heard of a hip being broken after shooting through the body. I doubt it was what they were intending, but I'm sure they were willing to take it at the moment. Very deep penetration buys that possibility. We have a pretty good idea what works in that regard, I'm curious how the 10 will show with good solids after being used on a number of animals and autopsied afterwards as to bones broken and how deep the bullets went etc. If it consistently shoots through elk and black bears sideways and breaks shoulders on the opposite side, its off to a good start. I just haven't heard anything specific so far. We're still looking at 38-40 to 44-40 black powder rifle power levels with the 10mm, but with better bullets as regards shape and hardness.

Mr Linebaugh has corresponded with a number of people that have shot bears and other large critters with various guns/loads and has some interesting information. It seems to be in line with most of the other info available as regards large heavyish bullets at moderate velocities seem to shoot deep. Lighter stuff does work in many instances, but I don't think they offer the margin for error and consistency that heavier loads do on large animals.
    Last edited by Malamute; 12-21-2013 at 11:10 PM.

Very interesting thread. I used to be really into big bore sixguns, and just going to singleactions.com forum for awhile can make me think I need one!

Over the years I bought a .41 Magnum Bisley, with the sole intention of having John Linebaugh convert it into a tight .45 Colt. I also owned a Smith 24-3 4" I used to carry AIWB in a Sparks Summer Specia loaded with Triton 165gr ammol. Also owned a sweet Magnaported 329PD with custom Sam Andrews shark skin holsters! The 329PD is pure torture to shoot!

I had a bad 500 Smith jones for awhile reading John Ross' articles, he really did some amazing stuff with the 500.

When Cor-Bon's Mike Shovel came to my PD for an ammo test, he shot the .460 Magnum, and he shot the load that goes 2300fps, and the gel block literally flew off the table, it was like "holy shit!" lol

This seems as good a place as any to mention I once had a 10mm Vaquero. You know, just because.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    This seems as good a place as any to mention I once had a 10mm Vaquero. You know, just because.
    If this was anyone else, I'd literally think you just made that gun up.

Along with another guy with connections to Smith, we were pushing hard for a K frame 10mm, instead of the N frame. Thought it would be a nifty revolver for an outdoorsy person, but unfortunately no joy.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Late joining in, but I'll play, notwithstanding my low-quality pic:
    [IMG][/IMG]

S&W 29-2 (1975) with Herrett Roper stocks and Sparks holster, inspired by Elmer Keith and Ross Seyfried stories in Guns & Ammo, early 1980's. If I could only have one gun, this would be the one. (Smear on top strap is residue from cast bullet lube; it thrives on homemade bullets and actually has never fired a factory round.)
    Greg Perry

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Along with another guy with connections to Smith, we were pushing hard for a K frame 10mm, instead of the N frame. Thought it would be a nifty revolver for an outdoorsy person, but unfortunately no joy.
    6-shot .40/10mm L-frame size cylinder apparently needs to be made in Ti, because of the thinness of the cylinder walls? Or so I've heard; hence the choice of cylinder materials in the 646.

Light the 1911guy signal.

User Tag List