Page 70 of 120 FirstFirst ... 2060686970717280 ... LastLast

Thread: Big Bore carry/general purpose outdoorsmen revolver pic and discussion thread

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    About fifteen years ago, I heard a guy tell a story about going antiquing with his wife. In the back of the shop, he noticed a floor lamp that had been made from a 1891 Mosin. It had a black walnut stock and, on closer inspection, he saw that the rifle had been made by New England Westinghouse.

It's hard to know whether or not the "worthless rifle" would have, some day, been valuable.

The one smart thing I've done with guns to buy a M1903 when they were being sold through Shotgun News for $250 and not alter it. For it turned out to be one of the Remington transition guns; when they first started making M1903s, they made them as 1903s with the ladder sights.

(I've been told it might be worth something.)
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    About fifteen years ago, I heard a guy tell a story about going antiquing with his wife. In the back of the shop, he noticed a floor lamp that had been made from a 1891 Mosin. It had a black walnut stock and, on closer inspection, he saw that the rifle had been made by New England Westinghouse.

It's hard to know whether or not the "worthless rifle" would have, some day, been valuable.

The one smart thing I've done with guns to buy a M1903 when they were being sold through Shotgun News for $250 and not alter it. For it turned out to be one of the Remington transition guns; when they first started making M1903s, they made them as 1903s with the ladder sights.

I have guns that are quite collectible. I had no idea when I bought three 686 CS1s for $300-$350 each that they'd be worth much more. So when I decided to shoot one for IDPA and ran several thousand rounds through it, I was essentially ruining it's value to collectors. It's value to me during those thousands of rounds was orders of magnitude higher than an arbitrary dollar amount assigned by collectors. I have other guns that haven't been shot much at all which do retain their value should I decide to sell them at a later date.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by 4given View Post
    Ruger Blackhawk Lipsey 44 Special Flat Top

Attachment 64860

Attachment 64861
    That's a nice piece! I have the bisley version of that same gun, posted a few pages back. A guy had a 5 1/2" plow handle .44 Spl for sale locally and I wish I'd have jumped on that (add that to the list). Now I'm kind of winking at a .45 Colt/ACP convertible.

A while back I sent an email to Lipsey's basically pleading for some 4 5/8" and 5 1/2" Super Blackhawks with bisley grip frames other than Hunter models. This seems like an obvious seller to me. I was surprised when Jason from Lipsey's sent me a nice reply and we chatted single actions a bit. In today's market, everything is selling/sold already, so no point in a lot of effort in OMGs (Old Man Guns) I reckon.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    That's a nice piece! I have the bisley version of that same gun, posted a few pages back. A guy had a 5 1/2" plow handle .44 Spl for sale locally and I wish I'd have jumped on that (add that to the list). Now I'm kind of winking at a .45 Colt/ACP convertible.

A while back I sent an email to Lipsey's basically pleading for some 4 5/8" and 5 1/2" Super Blackhawks with bisley grip frames other than Hunter models. This seems like an obvious seller to me. I was surprised when Jason from Lipsey's sent me a nice reply and we chatted single actions a bit. In today's market, everything is selling/sold already, so no point in a lot of effort in OMGs (Old Man Guns) I reckon.
    I wouldn't mind a Bisley!

OMG's... LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    I have guns that are quite collectible. I had no idea when I bought three 686 CS1s for $300-$350 each that they'd be worth much more. So when I decided to shoot one for IDPA and ran several thousand rounds through it, I was essentially ruining it's value to collectors. It's value to me during those thousands of rounds was orders of magnitude higher than an arbitrary dollar amount assigned by collectors. I have other guns that haven't been shot much at all which do retain their value should I decide to sell them at a later date.
    To be fair, I also had (still have) a .30-06 built out of an Interarms Mauser action, so I saw no sense in spending money to modify the M1903.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Going to carry the 629 for a late season deer hunt just in case I get an archery-range shot opportunity. It'll shoot if I just get out of its way.

Name:  DD65119D-8217-4063-937A-A26ED7A987E0 (1).jpg
Views: 804
Size:  35.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    If you use the common mounts like the later ones use, youd remove the rear sight and drill and tap one or two holes under the sight leaf. They would be visible from inside the cylinder window. I guess Im a prevert, i make my guns work for me, the next guy down the line can deal with it, and on guns I truly use and like a lot, that will be after Im gone. Ive drilled and tapped various pre-64 94s and original 1886 Winchesters and several Brownings for sights and sling mounts. Whatever perceived loss of value from making any changes is offset to me by being much more valuable in use. I wouldnt alter a truly rare or historical gun, but shooter/user grade guns, I have no qualms about using them and doing whats needed to make best use of them. Ive considered making a pre-64 94 into an angle eject so I can scope it to best effect. Ive looked for the parts a time or two, I may do it yet one day.

If you really like the gun but its not working for you now, why not make it work for you? Why let an old friend languish unused? Seems like more of an honor to keep using it than sacrilege.

Ive been considering adding scope rings to the barrel rib of an N frame 357, and leaving the iron sights intact. I have a spare barrel to do it with, the gun is older than me. Its a shooter grade gun though, I cant see the point in not using it even if it will take a little work to make it most useful to me. There are better condition ones for collectors, mines a user.

I am 100% with Malamute on this.

My 5" Model 29 was a very clean 8 & 3/8ths" 29-2. It might have been worth more in the long run to leave it as is. What is the point? I wanted a gun to be used in the field that was practical, portable and packable. The 5" barrel was ideal, and I wanted sights I could switch out, so I had the gun built the way I wanted. Will the gun be worth less than a pristine longer barrel 29-2 25 years from now? To a collector, probably. To a shooter, maybe not. I don't care, as I will have already had many hundreds of hours in the field enjoying it, versus the 8 &3/8ths barrel, which likely would have just sat in the safe.

My vote is use the tools, modify them to suit your needs and enjoy the snot out of them. You don't know how much time you have left. Worrying about a few rust spots, or scratches on pieces is not worth it to me. I know a few guys are buying the Sheridan carved holsters from Milt Sparks and putting them away unused as future collectors items, same as some Wilson Combat pistols. Not me. I carry mine in the field. I don't purposely abuse it, but it definitely goes on adventures with me. When one of my kids inherits it, it will have some character marks, and maybe they will recall being involved in some of those adventures.

Besides @Malamute's well worn 4" Model 29 is probably one of the single coolest looking revolvers ever! It just screams "I have some stories, and I have been places".

Modify and use those tools!

I'm not one to throw a lot of rocks, here. I had my 6" 29-2 magna-ported soon after I bought it.

Currently by the ocean in CA and on the move to a more free state. Three more years!
    I have a few BB's for the mountains and the wilds. I spend most of my time in the high desert areas around the western states, the Sierras, the lower Rockies, and the Sierra Prietas now. This is my favorite for those places.

Attachment 65156

It is a nicely used 624 that I was able to buy from my neighbor's wife after he passed away. He was a great gentleman who taught me how to reload and shoot with precision. He also flew P-38's and was a master machinist. He was just an all-around great person. I not only enjoy shooting the gun, but also the memories that come with it.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    Are you trying to tell me my 3” CS-1 might not be the best host for an Aimpoint ACRO in an Apex mount ?

User Tag List