Page 19 of 120 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969119 ... LastLast

Thread: Big Bore carry/general purpose outdoorsmen revolver pic and discussion thread

Yet another example of manufacturing expediency screwing up a good thing. Don't know exactly when S&W went all-in on round butts, but to me, a round butt on anything bigger than a K frame snubbie is a bit… ludicrous.

I bought a Ruger Vaquero a while back. I don't recall the specific name, but it had a short (3.5") barrel and the "birdshead" grip frame. That felt real good in the store, but sucked large when shooting it. I dunno, maybe I simply don't have enough SSA experience (this was my first- and probably last- "thumb buster") to appreciate the difference, but it was distinctly uncomfortable to shoot.

I can only imagine what shooting a heavy-recoiling DA revolver with a round butt is like; I know a 2.5 or 3 inch barreled RB K frame ain't no picnic with magnums.

I have a N frame .44 mag Nightguard (short barrel, round butt) that I shoe-horned the small Hogue K/L grips on. Recoil is prodigious.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Picked it up today. Cannot speak on the recoil control but damn that round butt fits my hand and the trigger reach appears better than my GP100's. Did I mention the sub 10lb factory DA pull?
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    Yet another example of manufacturing expediency screwing up a good thing. Don't know exactly when S&W went all-in on round butts, but to me, a round butt on anything bigger than a K frame snubbie is a bit… ludicrous.

I bought a Ruger Vaquero a while back. I don't recall the specific name, but it had a short (3.5") barrel and the "birdshead" grip frame. That felt real good in the store, but sucked large when shooting it. I dunno, maybe I simply don't have enough SSA experience (this was my first- and probably last- "thumb buster") to appreciate the difference, but it was distinctly uncomfortable to shoot.

I can only imagine what shooting a heavy-recoiling DA revolver with a round butt is like; I know a 2.5 or 3 inch barreled RB K frame ain't no picnic with magnums.

I don't find the birdshead or round butt single actions to be very comfortable or handle well. The flair in the butt of the regular grip helps index the heel of the hand when shooting/cocking one handed, and give a better grip even when shooting two handed. I'm not all that high speed, but started out shooting single actions as a kid and haven't been without one since the early 70's. I agree with your assessment.

Quick pics, crap lighting.

Kodiak Backpacker vs 642

Trigger reach. I wear medium exam gloves and large mechanix.
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Site Supporter
    Hizzie, who did that front sight on your 642 ? Looks interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Hizzie, who did that front sight on your 642 ? Looks interesting.
    Don Williams of The Action Works many years ago. It is tritium.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

*RS Regulate Affiliate*

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    Yet another example of manufacturing expediency screwing up a good thing. Don't know exactly when S&W went all-in on round butts...
    For a while, during the Aughties. Although they backed off a bit with the "Classic Reissues" because the Aulde Pharte brigade on S&W forums threatened to hold their breath until they turned blue.

When you think about it, it makes sense that if you're going to standardize on one frame shape, it should be the round butt; you can always make a round-butt square with a set of conversion stocks, but you can't make a square butt round without a bench grinder. (I will add that I think a ≥ 6" round butt looks dumb.)

Personally, the fact is that the original Model 21 TRS's being round-butt guns saved me from having to make fellow S&W collectors get all butthurt and weepy by taking my .44 HE Third Model to the aforementioned bench grinder. I think the RB works a jillion times better for behind-the-hip CCW on an N-frame than the square butt.
    Last edited by Tamara; 12-10-2014 at 06:04 PM.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Hizzie View Post

That new snubby Redhawk looks uber-cool!

User Tag List