Page 16 of 120 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666116 ... LastLast

Thread: Big Bore carry/general purpose outdoorsmen revolver pic and discussion thread

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    So this happened a few days ago, rather unexpectedly;

Attachment 2596
    Very nice! May I ask what caliber? My eyes are not good enough to pick up the details.

May it bring you good luck.

Model 28, .357mag, purchased in 1970 by the original owner and kept in a pistol rug pretty much ever since, and appears to have six total rounds through the gun. Seriously.

When I was 12 (1969) my dad bought a 6" S&W 28. I shot that gun a lot and have always liked them.

Model 28, .357mag, purchased in 1970 by the original owner and kept in a pistol rug pretty much ever since, and appears to have six total rounds through the gun. Seriously.
    Very cool, that is an excellent snag.

I hope you bought a lottery ticket at the same time! Great score.

Very, very nice! I had one just like it, it was my first revolver. I was 16 and saved money from working my job at a grocery store to buy it (Dad bought it for me-$175.00). Bought it NIB then added S&W Target grips, a red ramp, white outline and, yes, a trigger shoe (it was the 70s after all) which was soon removed. Can't say how many rounds went through that 28. It is one of the few guns I've regretted trading. Enjoy!

I have a 327 and 627, and they shoot great. For lower 48 use, a 27/28 has a lot going for it, compared to a 29/629.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I have a 327 and 627, and they shoot great. For lower 48 use, a 27/28 has a lot going for it, compared to a 29/629.
    I agree, for most of the lower 48. Some areas maybe not so much. I confess to carrying lighter guns around the yard sometimes (even though bears have been in the yard and neighborhood), but out in the hills, its always a 44 or 45 with heavy loads. I'm curious about the rest of the story, it sounds like the guy may have been eaten as well, but they aren't saying. Some of the other recent deaths the bears ate the person.

http://wyofile.com/angus_thuermer/be...s-may-remains/

Another pic of the "Flinchmaster" with different stocks (AKA grips)...

Edmo

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Here is my thinking on a defensive big bore handgun for use in the US. If it can reliably penetrate the skull of a brown bear from various angles, it is good to go. If you have something that is substantially greater in power (bullet weight/velocity), you are likely limiting your ability to place follow-up shots quickly, or carrying something bigger and heavier than ideal.

For hunting, where you want to penetrate sufficiently to break the opposite shoulder, bigger is probably better.

If you just want something big, for no other purpose than wanting it, no problem with that.

GJM: Given your primary criteria for penetration of a skull, would a .357 with a 158 gr hard cast or FMJ FN work? For me, it would certainly be easier to carry and shoot a K/L frame than an N frame. To me, your line of reasoning on a defense (not hunting) sidearm makes sense. An accurate shot from a .357 would probably be a lot more effective than a poor one from a .44. I'm just curious, I don't live in an area where I need to worry about irritated bears.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmo View Post
    Another pic of the "Flinchmaster" with different stocks (AKA grips)...

Edmo

My friend has a similar gun, a 3" 629 Lew Horton special. I tried it with some full power 240 gr PMC. I had enough after three rounds. That was the first time in my life I've ever removed live ammo from a nice revolver. When I got home I removed the 329PD from my wish list. I'd wanted one for years and now I'm glad I never bought one. I don't know the exact numbers, but a 329PD is probably 10-12 ounces lighter than a 3" 629. No thanks!

User Tag List