Page 18 of 120 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868118 ... LastLast

Thread: Big Bore carry/general purpose outdoorsmen revolver pic and discussion thread

Quote Originally Posted by eb07 View Post
    No offense but if I have to justify why 10mm is inadequate for a grizzly then I think you need to do more research on the subject yourself. Ballistics 101

1000 + lbs worth of anger willing to fight to the death coming down on you? I'll take 12 gauge slugs. You can have your 10mm.

Black bear? Yes. Adequate. They tend to run when shot. I ran one off with a glock 17.

When I lived in griz country you wouldn't see me out without my 12 in my eberlestock and my 44 on my chest as my last ditch handgun.
    You might want to review this:

http://www.arcticwild.com/blog/effic...-in-Alaska.pdf

ABSTRACT We compiled, summarized, and reviewed 269 incidents of bear–human conflict involving firearms that occurred in Alaska during 1883–2009. Encounters involving brown bears (Ursus arctos; 218 incidents, 81%), black bears (Ursus americanus; 30 incidents, 11%), polar bears (Ursus maritimus; 6 incidents, 2%), and 15 (6%) unidentified species provided insight into firearms success and failure. A total of 444 people and at least 367 bears were involved in these incidents. We found no significant difference in success rates (i.e., success being when the bear was stopped in its aggressive behavior) associated with long guns (76%) and handguns (84%). Moreover, firearm bearers suffered the same injury rates in close encounters with bears whether they used their firearms or not. Bears were killed in 61% (n 1⁄4 162) of bear–firearms incidents. Additionally, we identified multiple reasons for firearms failing to stop an aggressive bear. Using logistic regression, the best model for predicting a successful outcome for firearm users included species and cohort of bear, human activity at time of encounter, whether or not the bear charged, and if fish or game meat was present. Firearm variables (e.g., type of gun, number of shots) were not useful in predicting outcomes in bear–firearms incidents. Although firearms have failed to protect some users, they are the only deterrent that can lethally stop an aggressive bear. Where firearms have failed to protect people, we identified contributing causes. Our findings suggest that only those proficient in firearms use should rely on them for protection in bear country. " 2012 The Wildlife Society.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Based on enough bear encounters to make an impression on me, possibly the most effective handgun cartridge that exists, is the round fired in the dirt in front of an approaching bear, that causes them to turn and leave you alone. Unfortunately in some percentage of cases, that shot has the opposite effect and prompts an immediate charge. Starting with five cartridges, I wouldn't feel keen on firing a warning shot.

Interestingly, in two instances I recall, a warning shot turned three bears -- a sow and two "cubs."

Ah! The warning shot! Two is one and five is four. Got it!
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Link doesn't work. (Probabl shouldn't contain an ellipses)

Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    Link doesn't work. (Probabl shouldn't contain an ellipses)
    http://www.arcticwild.com/blog/effic...-in-Alaska.pdf

I enjoyed Neal Stephenson's book Reamde for many reasons. One of them was that the protagonist, who had once dumped a grizzly bear, in extremis, would simply get up and leave the room when other people would start talking about Grizzlies, their associated dangers, and appropriate counter precautions...

I just pulled the trigger on a Ruger Kodiak Backpacker 44 mag. Very reminiscent of Hamilton Bowen's "alpine" package he performs on RedHawks. It ought to be a pleasant distraction.

Gun Blast liked it. http://gunblast.com/Ruger-RedhawkTALO.htm
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Quote Originally Posted by Hizzie View Post
    I just pulled the trigger on a Ruger Kodiak Backpacker 44 mag. Very reminiscent of Hamilton Bowen's "alpine" package he performs on RedHawks. It ought to be a pleasant distraction.

Gun Blast liked it. http://gunblast.com/Ruger-RedhawkTALO.htm
    This Ruger looks very attractive. I have two Bowen Alpine conversions. After shooting the first one, I concluded the round butt negatively effected my ability to control recoil, and had him build the second one leaving a square butt.

This Ruger looks very attractive. I have two Bowen Alpine conversions. After shooting the first one, I concluded the round butt negatively effected my ability to control recoil, and had him build the second one leaving a square butt.
    Well that isn't reassuring news. Hopefully won't be the case with my size medium mitts.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

This was my experience as well. Square butt makes it easier for me to get the side of the palm heel that aligns with the ulnar (pinky side) behind the grip.
    About 1990 Hamilton Bowen told me that a square butt grip was better for recoil control. My .44 Redhawk is round butt, fortunately my .500, .475 Linebaugh Redhawks are square butt.
    I have L/XL size hands.

^ ^ ^ I bought one of the first 629 Mountain guns that came out. Loved the skinny barrel, and thought I liked the K frame round butt Pachmayr grips. I ended up selling it, as I found I really didnt like the round butts at all for actual shooting. I've bought and sold a number of other L and N frame Smiths and sold them all because of the round butt. I know theres conversion grips, but I hadn't seen any I liked nearly as well as modified factory targets, so just passed the guns down the road.

User Tag List