Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hornady Critical Defense 9mm 115gr FTX

Hornady Critical Defense 9mm 115gr FTX

I am wondering what the thoughts are on this round, I've been using it in my G19 carry and my wife is using the same in her G26 carry. I've been using it for a little over a year, I've shot some ample game around my property with it and taken a few deer at around 20-25 yards. It seems to be pretty consistent on expansion (I.e. the bullet mushrooms every time). I have noticed some fragment and jacket-core separation, but penetration and wound cavity seem to be more than adequate on the few large animals I've shot with it.

Does anyone have any data on the round, testing, etc.?

Doc Roberts, I'd like to read your opinion on it as well.

I was using Gold Dot for several years, but this Critical Defense is more available and less expensive. I originally bought some to try out on some water jugs and phone books, ended up having trouble finding my normal carry ammo, and ran into a hell of a deal on 250 rds of the stuff, so I bought it. Now I am getting down to a 100 rds and deciding on to buy more or try something else.

Any input is appreciated...

Thanks.

I would stick to Gold Dots, or anything from DocGKR's list posted above. If I was going to use Hornady then I would go with Critical Duty. Just my opinion.

Try www.sgammo.com for carry ammo at a great price, and great service.

Here's some pretty good ammo tests - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL727CAFF8A6C0D3BF
    Last edited by Clay; 12-14-2013 at 01:09 AM.

I've seen some videos from shootingthebull410 posted on another site that shows the Critical Defense doing better out of a short barrel than Critical Duty, i.e. the Critical Duty did not expand properly from the shorter barrel and therefore overpenetrated (in bare gel), while the Critical Defense fully expanded in both bare and 4 layer denim gel tests, although penetration was on the low end of the acceptable range at just over 12.5 inches I think it was.

How well calibrated the gel tests were I can't say, but it was interesting for short barrels.
    I am not fat, I am wearing organic body armor.
    "Foreign policy is best left to the people with a head for negotiation and satisfying others without really giving anything away: customer service representatives."
    - Sheepdog247

I just recently discovered the Shooting The Bull Youtube channel, and I think it's one of the better ammo testing Channels. I watched both the Critical Duty, and Critical Defense tests. Finally some good testing with a 3" barrel.

I don't think Critical Defense is the best thing out there, but I'm not adverse to using it. I did carry the Hornady Z-Max 9mm for a short time in the G26 I used to have. The short barrel results of C-Defense on STB were actually encouraging, and will certainly be an option for me in my M&P Shield once vetted with it. The Hornady is very easy to get right now, at least for me locally. HST, and RangerT are very hard to get around here.

Dan, on STB, he did one video on the two gels, and goes over his calibration.

If I was living in New Jersey and was restricted against JHP, than sure. Otherwise, with the power of the internet, I'd search for what my guns prefer using. I've had good luck on gunbroker lately, buying case quantity, for HSTs the past 5 weeks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I497 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jkurtz7 View Post
    The Hornady is very easy to get right now, at least for me locally. HST, and RangerT are very hard to get around here.
    Respectfully, if you're restricting yourself to what you can procure locally for defense loads, you may want to rethink your ammo-acquisition strategies. I can completely understand buying FMJ ammo locally for convenience. Defense ammo, on the other hand, is generally expended in substantially smaller quantities and should be bought for effectiveness, not local availability.

In addition to Gunbroker, I find GunBot to be an excellent resource for sourcing ammo of all types.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTrevor View Post
    Respectfully, if you're restricting yourself to what you can procure locally for defense loads, you may want to rethink your ammo-acquisition strategies. I can completely understand buying FMJ ammo locally for convenience. Defense ammo, on the other hand, is generally expended in substantially smaller quantities and should be bought for effectiveness, not local availability.

In addition to Gunbroker, I find GunBot to be an excellent resource for sourcing ammo of all types.
    I prefer to support my local shops these days, so I'll purchase my ammo the way I see fit, and keeping local people employed is important to me. I'm currently using Ranger RA9T that I pulled out of my SHTF stash, so I have "proper" ammo for carry.

Gold Dot, and Golden Saber can still be had locally, but Hornady C-Duty and C-Defense are always available here in good quantity. Now, I did say I didn't think it was the best available, but that I'm not totally adverse to using it, if I have to.

It appears to be a good choice for people using short barreled 9mms, for personal defense or BUG use, who are recoil sensitive, and have no mission of perhaps shooting at suspects in cars.

I know a person with exactly such parameters, who has a big stash of 115gr WWB for practice, and has found the Critical Defense to give the same recoil and POA=POI characteristics as his practice ammo. Can't fault that reasoning.

I wouldn't want to carry it at work, but then I'd still be better off than when I was carrying Hydrashock or BPLE back in the day.

I appreciate the input, I am going to grab a couple boxes of Critical Duty and HST, and do some backyard comparison to the Critical Defense. I've think I will stick with Critical Defense for my wifes G26 until I can get it away from her and do some testing on it as well.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph B. View Post
    I am wondering what the thoughts are on this round, I've been using it in my G19 carry and my wife is using the same in her G26 carry. I've been using it for a little over a year, I've shot some ample game around my property with it and taken a few deer at around 20-25 yards. It seems to be pretty consistent on expansion (I.e. the bullet mushrooms every time). I have noticed some fragment and jacket-core separation, but penetration and wound cavity seem to be more than adequate on the few large animals I've shot with it.

Does anyone have any data on the round, testing, etc.?

Doc Roberts, I'd like to read your opinion on it as well.

I was using Gold Dot for several years, but this Critical Defense is more available and less expensive. I originally bought some to try out on some water jugs and phone books, ended up having trouble finding my normal carry ammo, and ran into a hell of a deal on 250 rds of the stuff, so I bought it. Now I am getting down to a 100 rds and deciding on to buy more or try something else.

Any input is appreciated...

Thanks.
    Dr. Roberts has written his input re: Hornady ammunition. You must spend a little time finding it.

User Tag List