Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Scope Mounting to an AR15

After running strictly LaRue QD mounts for nearly 10yrs, I've recently switched to Bobro QD after having wandering zero issues with my LaRue scope mounts.

At a recent John "Shrek" McPhee "Heavy carbine" class that I hosted there were 7 shooters running LaRue mounts and 3 of them lost zero after TD1. McPhee stated that was a common theme in all of his scoped rifle classes with shooters running LaRue mounts. No matter how tight you run the LaRue levers they will eventually lose tension due to their design.

For the OP's purposes running his rifle as a precision (300-600m) rifle, I honestly wouldn't run any QD type mount. I would run a good set of rings (Badger) or a KAC mount. If you are looking for something more affordable I have hear that the Burris PEPR mount is a good option: http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/154...op-ar-15-matte

Larue, ADM and Bobro all work very well. My only suggestion would be to get the extended model of whatever you buy. Much more versatile in terms of getting the eye relief where you want. Also helps if you change optics sometime down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by NickDrak View Post

For the OP's purposes running his rifle as a precision (300-600m) rifle, I honestly wouldn't run any QD type mount. I would run a good set of rings (Badger) or a KAC mount. If you are looking for something more affordable I have hear that the Burris PEPR mount is a good option: http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/154...op-ar-15-matte
    Yes! Thank god someone finally said it! For the OP there appears to be no point in the QD. In fact, there is no point in QD optic mounts for many people who buy them. Part of the problem is that there are limited options for non-QD mounts of any decent quality that don't also cost as much as the QD alternative.

On the QD side, Bobro mounts are great but they are bulkier than pretty much all of the other QD solutions, something that probably won't bother the OP. I've had several ADM mounts with various odd issues that leads me to believe that there is some sort of consistency/QC problem there. My 3-9 leupold that I use for accuracy testing is on a legacy Larue without locking lever but it gets attached to a gun, groups walked in to paper, and removed so I can't comment on long-term security.

OP, IMO follow Nik's advice and go non-QD.

So LaRue's "VFZ" style mounts won't work in this application?
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

There is going to be a wide range of answers to this question. Here's my take:

Good rings can be an excellent way to go, as long as you don't mount the front ring beyond the front of the receiver (e.g. slot T13). That may not work in this case, since the scope isn't compact.

QD mounts can be very accurate and repeatable because good ones have built-in torque settings. I know folks who use LaRue and similar mounts on their precision guns. Cheaper ones like a Burris can't be trusted.

A one-piece mount like a Spuhr or AI, mounted using a torque wrench will be the best in terms of accuracy and repeatability. I think it's overkill in this case.

I would just get a LaRue. (KAC is a good option too but I think they're a little overpriced)
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 11-30-2013 at 10:46 AM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Thank you for all the responses, it is giving me more to look at and more reading to do.

NickDrak and rob_s, I do agree, that I don't need QD functionality and in the Larue mount was interested in the VFZ attachment method(I did mention that in my post #6, I'm not a complete noob ). I'm not really interstested in the Burris PEPR; I've seen them in use and they are, in my perception, the type of mounts that require the user to constantly confirm zero.

I have a Bobro mount that came from the factory for my SRS02. Whereas I haven't had any performance issues from it, there is just something about it that makes me feel like I'm going to break it. Is my perception unfounded?

I have not heard of any Bobro QD mount breaking. Not sure what would give you that perception. They are tank like.

When I mentioned the Burris PEPR mount I was specifically referring to their NON-QD mount. Not sure why their mount design would require you to reconfirm your zero more than any other properly torqued non-QD mount?

The issue with the LaRue QD mounts as it was explained to me by McPhee is still present with their non-QD "VFZ" mounts:A hardened steel knife edge using friction to cam against a much softer aluminum receiver as the means for attachment. The aluminum of the receiver will always give to the steel camming edge eventually.

LaRue's own in-house RTZ test was basically a circus trick that does not represent the actual recoil and pressures involved with the AR type platform especially those of heavier recoil .308 ARs.

When I mentioned the Burris PEPR mount I was specifically referring to their NON-QD mount. Not sure why their mount design would require you to reconfirm your zero more than any other properly torqued non-QD mount?
    He was probably referring to the QD version, which is well known for such.

I have a Burris PEPR non-QD, and it works fine. The only thing I'll note is that I wouldn't want to uninstall/reinstall very often, as the screws seem to be of superlatively low quality and feel like they'd be easy to strip (even though I haven't done such yet).
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

The problems I've seen with LaRue mounts have been due to overtightening of the QD lever because someone didn't read the instructions. That will cause the aluminum on the rail to deform. Properly tightened, there should not be deformation of the aluminum--certainly hasn't been on my mount.

NickDrak's points are worth considering--especially with 10 years with LaRue mounts. I just haven't seen this myself.

In my experience, cheap mounts like Burris are not machined as true as high quality ones. That causes incomplete contact with the rail and results in shifts in alignment under recoil or just over time--similar to a rifle action that needs bedding.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

After running strictly LaRue QD mounts for nearly 10yrs, I've recently switched to Bobro QD after having wandering zero issues with my LaRue scope mounts.

At a recent John "Shrek" McPhee "Heavy carbine" class that I hosted there were 7 shooters running LaRue mounts and 3 of them lost zero after TD1. McPhee stated that was a common theme in all of his scoped rifle classes with shooters running LaRue mounts. No matter how tight you run the LaRue levers they will eventually lose tension due to their design.

Thanks for point this out. I lack great depth of experience in rifle stuff so years ago I took the advice of Larue and have not given it a second thought since.

Cluster - helpful observation also.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

User Tag List