Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Scope Mounting to an AR15

Scope Mounting to an AR15

Hi all, I'm hoping to get some feedback and clarification on mounting a scope on an AR.

I have an 18" barrel, 5.56mm AR I'm looking to scope. The gun's purpose is primarily target shooting, 300-600 yards and occasionally coyote shooting. It is currently wearing a setup I received from a friend for free, a 3-9 Nikon with cheap Chinese UTG rings. The setup leaves much to be desired and I'd like to get more out of the gun.

I bought the scope already, a Trijicon TR23-2 (5-20x50 30mm tube), now I'm trying to decide on the attachment method. Magnified optics are something I have limited practical experience with. The answers on what to buy usually vary based on the message board sponsorship.

What is a better attachment method, a 1 piece mount or individual rings?

What brands 'work' and what don't?

What price point should I gear myself up for?

Any guidance is appreciated.

Congrats on the new scope--and on dumping the Airsoft scope mount.

Here's a good setup for your scope. ~$200.
    http://www.laruetactical.com/5-20x50...04-30-qd-mount

Here's what it looks like with your scope in it:
    http://www.laruetactical.com/larue-t...ount-qd-lt-104
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

I use the LaRue mounts for all my AR15's...
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    I use the LaRue mounts for all my AR15's...
    +1 I've never looked beyond the Larue Tactical QD mounts.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

LaRue.
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Before I place my order for a Larue LT104, I do have one last question.

Normally for AR parts that I seek to buy and I'm unsure what to get quality wise, I turn to my local solution which is KAC.
    Is there anything that the KAC offerings do better than the Larue in regards to a non-QD scope mount(I'll be buying the VFZ attachment method, I see no need to spend the money for QD when the rifle does not have a backup sighting system) to account for the KAC offerings being twice the price?

Quote Originally Posted by jwperry View Post
    Before I place my order for a Larue LT104, I do have one last question.

Normally for AR parts that I seek to buy and I'm unsure what to get quality wise, I turn to my local solution which is KAC.
    Is there anything that the KAC offerings do better than the Larue in regards to a non-QD scope mount(I'll be buying the VFZ attachment method, I see no need to spend the money for QD when the rifle does not have a backup sighting system) to account for the KAC offerings being twice the price?
    Not in my opinion.

For the price of the KAC mount, spend another $100 and get a Spuhr if you need the very best for a precision rifle. For your use, I would get the Larue.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

LaRue makes decent stuff but for the same price you can find better. Bobro for a one-piece would be my recommendation. I would also get ADM before LaRue.
    The beatings will continue until morale improves.

I have used LaRue and ADM mounts.. My experience is that ADM mounts are more secure, are easier to adjust and hold zero better.

I'll second the recommendation to look at Bobro mounts. They make some of the best-made scope mounts I've seen anywhere at any price, and a number of the top-tier carbine trainers swear by them. The AR I'm building right now will be getting a magnified optic in a Bobro mount.

User Tag List