Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: SAFETY ADVISORY: Winchester Ranger Bonded 9mm 147 grain (Q4364)

Kitten it, and I just bought some.

I am glad I have an ample supply of 124+P Gold Dot on hand.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    The fact that:

1) no lot number is mentioned, and
    2) Winchester have not themselves issued a recall

causes me to be a little skeptical here.

(I mean, I'm not affected anyway, because I just checked and the only 147gr Ranger I have on hand is RA9T, whose non-bonded projectiles apparently don't cause lead styphnate to become inert the way bonded ones do?)

(EDITED AGAIN: I'm not discounting it, mind you, I'm just curious as to why every lot # they have, of that particular load, is hosed?)
    Last edited by Tamara; 11-25-2013 at 06:18 PM.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    FBI Contract ammo?
    Yes. Multiple failures to fire.

This was a one time, suplemental purchase for ICE, at a time when the regular 9mm duty load, the Speer 124gr +P GDHP was hard to come by.

The notice specified all lots, however, since it was a one time, limited purchase for ICE, it is easier from and admin standpoint to simply designate all of it training ammo till it's gone.
    Last edited by HCM; 11-25-2013 at 06:30 PM.

My ranger t was acquired in January of '13, is this in the likely risk timeframe?

Coincidentally...this validates my habit of compulsively buying JHP when I see it even if I do not use that particular load at the time...

I see it. I buy it. I shoot & test it in a gun, then keep it on hand.

Never know when you will need more/different defensive ammo. Or something.

I always keep a variety of duty and carry rounds on hand, even in the same brand and style of ammo this tends to leave me with ammo from different lot numbers.

I had a bad experience about 25 years ago with my chosen duty ammo turning out to have 3-5 squibs per 50 round box. After that experience I test new ammo rather extensively. For a long time I had a rule of never carrying the same ammo in my duty and BUG guns when they were the same caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    The fact that:

1) no lot number is mentioned, and
    2) Winchester have not themselves issued a recall

causes me to be a little skeptical here.

(I mean, I'm not affected anyway, because I just checked and the only 147gr Ranger I have on hand is RA9T, whose non-bonded projectiles apparently don't cause lead styphnate to become inert the way bonded ones do?)

(EDITED AGAIN: I'm not discounting it, mind you, I'm just curious as to why every lot # they have, of that particular load, is hosed?)
    Yeah, I purchased a good bit of RA9B back in 07/08. Having tested it myself I'm not terribly concerned as it was made well before any of this stuff and I highly doubt every lot of RA9B ever made is compromised.

I think the safety advisory only applies to the ammo that ICE has in inventory, not all Winchester Q4364 ever made by them.

Site Supporter
    I carry RA9B and have another 500 rounds on the way. It's been reliable for me.

User Tag List