Page 80 of 83 FirstFirst ... 30707879808182 ... LastLast

Thread: A Glock 42?

Quote Originally Posted by SouthNarc View Post
    Just got a 42 for my better half. Any update on accessories for them like sights? Slide stop is a pain in the ass to release and I see Vicker's Tactical has made an extended one for them.
    My wife and two daughter in laws really like shooting the 42s. One has orange HD sights on them and is quite happy with them.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Site Supporter
    I bought one a few months ago and finally got a chance to try to run it. Sad to say it is problematic.

First - I took it to Karl Rehn's awhile ago for Dave Spaulding's course. We were shooting various guns at old cars. So I loaded it with Hornaday Critical Defense. On the first shoot, it jammed solid as a rock with a double feed and a round in the chamber that wouldn't extract on a rack - had to be coaxed out. So I bagged it for later.

Today - I took it to an indoor range with three kinds of ammo - Critical Defense, Federal's Premium load and Winchester WWB.

It hated the CD - jammed about 75% of the mags filled it it. Double feeds, stove pipes. But there was a neat sort of stove pipe where the empty case was jammed up perpendicular to the chamber and inside the vertical walls of the barrel on the side of the chamber, if that makes sense. Pulling the mag and poking it got it out.

The scary malfunction with the CD is that it fired not totally in battery. On a double tap, it fired the second shot without being fully closed and smoke and crap came out of the ejection port. Some crap hit me in the face - not serious. Probably some powder as I saw the flash come out of the port. Oops! I see on this thread that some folks like the round.

With WWB, it ran better but with 100 or so rounds, it jammed - double feeds about every 3 to 4 mags. It seemed to run ok with the Federal (25 rounds).

As far as accuracy and recoil - the recoil isn't bad. A Ruger LCP is more of whack. Accuracy - I shot at 5 yards as I just wanted to run the gun. I could shoot tight groups but they were about 3 inches to the right of center. I'm left handed. As a comparison to see if it was me, I shot some WWB 9mm from a G26 and a few 38 SPLs from a 642. They were on target center. The 642 is certainly more snappy than the G42. The 26 is a sweetheart.

For curiousity, after checking out, I asked the store clerk if folks had problems with the 42s as I did. He said (oh, well), you have to shoot them 600 rounds to break them as suggested by the manufacturer for all guns. I opined that my 26, 19, and 17 ran right out the box. Confused him a bit.

So:

1. I've read some 42 threads and see mixed results. Are particular models and times of manufacture proven to be trouble?
    2. Send it back to Glock and stamp my feet? It's a lemon?
    3. 600 rounds is ridiculous - gun store 'expert'

Or what - thoughts?

The early models without the "1" on the inside of the frame had lots of problems.

I'd contact Glock. Also, the break in idea is BS, they should run from the get-go.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

The early ones' problems were especially exacerbated with conical JHPs (eg, xtp, CD). Mine smoothed out on its own after several hundred rounds, but I'm still wary of reliability with anything other than WWB flat point ball (which it eats like Archer's 4th season "Pam" eats blow).

We've sold hundreds of Glock 42's and have only had a few complaints of any problems, unfortunately one customer is also a forum member here Hopefully he sends it off to Glock and it gets resolved. My personal 42 only has about 200 or so rounds thru it of ball and 40 rounds of Critical Defense and has been great so far.

Contact Glock and send it back. They will take care of it and it will save you further wasted ammunition, time, and aggravation.

Site Supporter
    I'm going to do that. Thanks for the input. Nice sized gun. I like it better than the LCP I tried. I still like my 432 for a BUG, though.

PensFan
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    The early models without the "1" on the inside of the frame had lots of problems.
    This is the one myth I love! The "1" inside the frame is a mold number. Has ZERO to do with any changes or generations. The sole purpose of that number is to identify the mold in which the frame was made. That's all it means.

My G42 doesn't really like Hornady CD. News flash, I run Speer Gold Dots that run flawlessly. That said, the G42 is more sensitive to shooter input than any other Glock other than the G36. High grip is good but don't interrupt the slide or slide stop lever at all and you're probably good to go. The more you shoot them the better they are. Flexing the frame and breaking in the striker spring cups by shooting etc...

It has been a while, but I thought the changes were to the slide stop (with the revised slide stop marked -1) and the magazines.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Mine is off to Glock. See what happens. They sent me the FedEx form and I took it to a hub. I once tried to send a gun to Glock through a local FedEx store and the clerk almost had a heart attack.

User Tag List