Page 78 of 83 FirstFirst ... 28687677787980 ... LastLast

Thread: A Glock 42?

After reading some ballistic testing suggesting the XTP bullet does about the best in .380, I bought several hundred rounds of Underwood's standard velocity loading with the 90 grain XTP bullet. My wife shot this ammo today, and found it to be quite accurate. After shooting at 25 yards, she had me tweak the rear sight a tad left, and she proceeded to hit an 8 inch steel at 50 yards at will with the 42. Before some wag suggests the paint better not to be too thick on the steel at that range, given how anemic the .380 is, it still suggests a very shootable small pistol.

We got our MK9 stainless Kahr back from their CS, for loaded cartridges not ejecting from the chamber, and I shot it today for the first time. In the first magazine, with Aguila ball, I got a stove pipe, which was not exactly confidence inspiring. I spent some time shooting a PPS with flat base plates, and continue to be impressed how well that pistol shoots. Right now, it is the smallest pistol I am confident shooting well.

The 42 is on the small side for me, but I found by putting my support index finger on the front of the trigger guard, Grauffel style, the 42 didn't feel too small. The 42 carries for nicely in my pockets, although my wife wants a quick cover holster from Custom Carry Concepts.

Anyone know when after market sights will be available?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Ameriglo has night sights listed on the website, but out of stock.
    The G42 is an amazingly accurate pistol. Hornady FTX has been the most accurate expanding bullet, Remington Leadless is the most accurate ball round in my gun.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

I was finally able to find time to get to the range yesterday with the 42. I didn't clean or oil the pistol. Took it out of the box and started shooting. I put 100 rounds of 95 gr WWB flat nose FMJ through it. I worked mostly from 15 yards and in focusing on accuracy. I did run a couple of magazines from 7 yards doing failure to stop drills and 1 shot slide lock reload 1 shot drills. I've yet to find any defensive rounds in the brands I'm looking for so that evaluation will have to wait. Should be ordering some practice ammo this month and I'm going to add as much 380 to the order as I can afford to push the round count up. On that note, the white box cost me $21.99 each. Ouch.

The 42 is lot of fun to shoot. I cut up a set of rubber talon grips for a G30 and put on it just because. I really like these grips and they feel good on the 42. It's going to take a lot of trigger time for me to get comfortable running it at speed. The combination of light weight, small size, and heavier trigger equaled poor results on failure to stop drills.

I forgot to bring any slow fire targets so I improvised. I shot 12 rounds slow fire from 25 yards just to see what it and I could do. I haven't shot bullseye in along time and definitely not with a little bitty pistol. Yes there are 11 holes in the plate. I called one out because of a yanked trigger pull. I put 100 rounds through the Shield before picking up the 42 and the triggers are really different. I know, excuses.

I had three failure to feeds. They all happened with the first box of ammo and all from pulling the slide back to load on full magazines. I'm not sure if this was the pistol or me. All three of the rounds nose dived and failed to go into the chamber. No other failures.

Our oldest daughter has been bugging me to shoot a "real" gun so she's going with me the next time I take the 42 out. I'm curious to see how she does. She's 5'3" and has really small hands. Should be a good fit for her.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

I had an opportunity to shoot a 42 yesterday at a steel match. The gun had warren sevigny tritium sights on it. We shot Atlanta Arms FMJ through it. Trigger was a bit heavy at the break but once I figured out how to deal with the short trigger reach I found the gun surprisingly easy to shoot. Tame recoil and very accurate. We shot 6 inch steel plates at 20 yards without any issues.

I'm seriously considering picking one up for my 5 foot tall wife. She has difficulty reaching the trigger on a gen 4 19. I may also use the pistol for formal wear pocket carry and running with a PT-2 holster.

So now it's been revised twice....

Here's revision #1:
    http://looserounds.com/2014/05/10/gl...es-to-the-g42/

Revision #2 is undetermined but I saw the frame marked #2 for the guns that showed up at my buddy's shop this week.

Quote Originally Posted by Shenaniguns View Post
    Here's revision #1:
    http://looserounds.com/2014/05/10/gl...es-to-the-g42/

Revision #2 is undetermined but I saw the frame marked #2 for the guns that showed up at my buddy's shop this week.
    Is it a revision or just additional tooling being brought online to meet demand?

A "dash 1" at the end of a part number usually does signify a revision (in my experience) but a different number on an injection molded part doesn't always reflect a design change. It could just be a mold or cavity number if they have multiple tools being used to produce the part. You normally want traceability in your components so if you start having a problem you can trace it back.

At my previous employment we used different numbers for casting cavities (1,2,3,etc) and eaching turning/machining center had programmed in dwell marks or other machinined in identifiers that were coded to the machine it came off of so we could trace back problems.

Without knowing Glocks internal "numerology" I would hesitate to say something had changed unless there was obvious physical differences between them that could be repeatably found corresponding to those numbers. (Like the mag pictures and some of the other ones)

Quote Originally Posted by Crow Hunter View Post
    Is it a revision or just additional tooling being brought online to meet demand?

A "dash 1" at the end of a part number usually does signify a revision (in my experience) but a different number on an injection molded part doesn't always reflect a design change. It could just be a mold or cavity number if they have multiple tools being used to produce the part. You normally want traceability in your components so if you start having a problem you can trace it back.

At my previous employment we used different numbers for casting cavities (1,2,3,etc) and eaching turning/machining center had programmed in dwell marks or other machinined in identifiers that were coded to the machine it came off of so we could trace back problems.

Without knowing Glocks internal "numerology" I would hesitate to say something had changed unless there was obvious physical differences between them that could be repeatably found corresponding to those numbers. (Like the mag pictures and some of the other ones)
    I'm not positive, but did you read that link with pics that do have a -1on some parts?
    http://looserounds.files.wordpress.c...5/img_8976.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Shenaniguns View Post
    I'm not positive, but did you read that link with pics that do have a -1on some parts?
    http://looserounds.files.wordpress.c...5/img_8976.jpg
    I would definitely agree that something has changed with the magazines and the slide stop lever.

Maybe on the Trigger Housing. Yeah, there is a little difference that I could see in the pictures but if it is a clearance cut it might not make a difference. (One mold may just be slightly different but it is unlikely that 2 cavities in the same mold would be that different)

Frames might be just a difference in mold cavities if they have a dual cavity mold or a different mold if it is a single cavity. It really depends on the tonnage of the machine they have to mold it on. If they have a massive Cincinnati Milacron they may have 3 or 4 cavities. If they have a smaller Nissei machines they may have a single cavity die in different machines. It will depend on how their capacity is laid out and how many parts they want to make. Percentage of OEM vs service parts.

I would expect some differences in the way they are marked since the molds are probably produced and they are run in the US versus Austria.

I know when I was working in injection molding that our CKD molds that we got from Japan were different from what we sourced in the US. Even though they were both making the same part. We had to add capacity to the Corolla line because the demand was higher than Toyota had expected and due to lead times we sourced one of the molds in the US versus getting it from Toyoda Boshoku in Japan.

Glock might have had a similar issue here.

Or it could be a design change. Without knowing the coding it is hard to tell.

Heck, they might even be outsourcing some of the parts to different suppliers and it is a supplier number.

I can confirm visually in person that the chambers were polished post 'tenifer' on the frames marked #1.

I will keep an eye out at the shop when I'm there, but it went from unmarked frames originally to #1 marked frames to #2 as of last week. Once the number goes up I've never seen a new one delivered without a number or even back to #1 yet.
    IMO they had some feeding issues on a wide scale and are correcting it, I don't think this is like their extractors that had been marked with its mold numbers and you can find a #3 or #4 extractor on the same born on date.

User Tag List