Page 30 of 83 FirstFirst ... 2028293031324080 ... LastLast

Thread: A Glock 42?

I know a lot of people want to have a baby Browning in 9mm, however more and more I think a caliber should only be shrunk down to a certain level of size of the gun.

Many, if not most, of the micro 9mms and .380s I have seen have reliability or durability issues, or both. I have met one reliable Ruger LCP as an example, and only two reliable Kel Tecs, both of which are .32s. Of the micro 9mms I have owned or tested, the samples of one Kel Tec PF9 and Ruger copy did not run worth a damn, and only one of the three PM9s I have owned is remotely reliable, and it only with limited and specific JHP ammo.

Size up the Kahrs just a bit to the P or CW9 size and they become much more reliable, in my experience.

The G42 sized .380 should be very shootable, flat, concealable, easy to handle, and in that size envelope easy to make both reliable and durable. A very modern version of the early 1900s Colt, Savage and Remington "pocket" guns (back when guys like Bogart had big pockets).

Now if Glock would make a no BS reliable and durable .40 that runs 100% with full power ammo with a light mounted, then they would be "cooking with gas" as my dad used to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    I know a lot of people want to have a baby Browning in 9mm, however more and more I think a caliber should only be shrunk down to a certain level of size of the gun.

Many, if not most, of the micro 9mms and .380s I have seen have reliability or durability issues, or both. I have met one reliable Ruger LCP as an example, and only two reliable Kel Tecs, both of which are .32s. Of the micro 9mms I have owned or tested, the samples of one Kel Tec PF9 and Ruger copy did not run worth a damn, and only one of the three PM9s I have owned is remotely reliable, and it only with limited and specific JHP ammo.

Size up the Kahrs just a bit to the P or CW9 size and they become much more reliable, in my experience.

The G42 sized .380 should be very shootable, flat, concealable, easy to handle, and in that size envelope easy to make both reliable and durable. A very modern version of the early 1900s Colt, Savage and Remington "pocket" guns (back when guys like Bogart had big pockets).

Now if Glock would make a no BS reliable and durable .40 that runs 100% with full power ammo with a light mounted, then they would be "cooking with gas" as my dad used to say.
    I'm curious to see one in person. As you said, for the size it is, I probably would prefer it in .380

Would I carry it as a primary? Kitten no.

Would I put one in my bathing suit cargo pocket hanging out next to the pool and not care too much if I decided to get in? Yuuup.

If they offered me one to shoot and gave me 10K worth of ammo I wouldn't say no...
    J.M. Johnston
    Host of Ballistic Radio - Sundays at 7:00 PM EST on Cincinnati's 55KRC THE Talk Station, available on iHeartRadio

So this is a direct competitor to the Ruger LC380?

It holds the same # of BBs that my TCP .380 holds, in a much smaller package, that so far has been reliable and not painful to shoot .... we'll see about the longevity.
    I'm with Jody in that I would be excited about it in 9mm, although I'd like to see at least one more round in the magazine.
    Then again, reliability being #1, a .380 that runs trumps a 9mm jam-o-matic.
    Last edited by Chuck Whitlock; 01-01-2014 at 10:09 AM.

I just found this video from Glock about the G42.

http://youtu.be/keqwALyFFME

Just kidding. But if I was good at editing it would be for the 42.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    Holy molly, what a scoop. G&A has a new editor.

I see what you did there. Well played sir.

I think it's Glock's "hey look, we have a .380 too!" more than any direct thought that it should compete against the LC380, although looking at the pocket pistol size comparison chart on the internets it looks to be that size range along with the Kahr PM9.

I would suspect this gun would make a decent 9mm, and if it does and they work then I might end up with a new ankle gun. 13 ounces and change makes the Glock noticeably lighter than most of the other 9mms in this size range.

Quote Originally Posted by texasaggie2005 View Post
    Again, from Reddit.

http://m.imgur.com/a/ZUiuZ
    MSRP $475? Will that put actually prices under $400?

Site Supporter
    Barsto should get working on a 9mm conversion barrel

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    I think it's Glock's "hey look, we have a .380 too!" more than any direct thought that it should compete against the LC380, although looking at the pocket pistol size comparison chart on the internets it looks to be that size range along with the Kahr PM9.
    That's the idea I was trying to get at. I don't seem to articulation very well today!

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JV View Post
    Barsto should get working on a 9mm conversion barrel
    You'd need new mags, too.

User Tag List