Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My family's ranch in Wyoming

Taken on the ranch.

#RESIST

How's your AAC-SD treating ya?
    #RESIST

You're a blessed Dude. I hope if I can come back as something else in another life it will be as a Westerner.

Great photos and thanks for posting them. I especially like the shot from the front porch.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    How's your AAC-SD treating ya?
    It is an awesome rifle rifle for what it is. I like how handy it is as mine has a 16" barrel. pretty easy to stay on a 10" at 800 yards which is more than I need out of it I thought I had ruined it as my friend dropped it out of a mule and it cartwheeled multiple times over the crown. Held zero and still works like a champ I had a 20" barreled version as well and it was just too heavy to lug around everywhere.

Those are some great pics man - you're very lucky to have had the opportunity to grow up in that sort of an environment. I hope your family can continue to operate the ranch for generations to come.

And there's a girl behind every tree! (Find a tree though.)

Love Wyoming.
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Wonderful photos!

Really makes me wish I was still there, the fact that I find myself above it at 36000 feet every week only makes it worse. If only I had the coin to purchase some land before I left - now there is only the hope and dream of retiring there.

Quote Originally Posted by NETim View Post
    And there's a girl behind every tree! (Find a tree though.)

Love Wyoming.
    Ain't that the truth though. For all my love of Wyoming, I do have to admit that it wasn't the best place for a single guy as far as ratios were concerned. Even U.W. had more guys than girls in the student body and forget it if you were an engineering student. Fort Collins, Boulder, and Greeley were our salvation. Heck, I even remember hanging out with my buddy in Scotts Bluff thinking how good they had it

Purty place. Good to see your father, brother and yourself out on the land. That's a source of strength to any man.

I miss our place so bad sometimes, it's like a part of my soul was clawed out. In our family for 70 years, then lost to pay off the inheritance taxes.

I've driven out there a couple of times, but it's just not the same. Do whatever you have to do to keep your ranch.

Gorgeous. But beyond just the scenery. It's the lifestyle.

I was raised on a 68 section cattle ranch in western NM/eastern AZ (right on the state line with the house about a mile east of the AZ/NM state line). Over the years and with the passing of my grandfather and my uncle and some divorce thrown in for good measure, all the property is now broken up into smaller pieces and owned by at least two owners along with national forest land.

A power line built through the property opened roads to regular pickups that can make a trip from the front of the property to the back of the property in an hour when it used to take real 4WD and half a day. The hunting is ruined. I can clearly remember when we would go two weeks without a visitor, and now it seems there is somebody standing on every road curve and behind every tree.

I returned for a final mule deer hunt four years ago and while it stirred strong emotions to see the old place, along with some corrals I had personally built, it was just not the same. Don't know if I'll ever muster up the gumption to go back.

I admire any and everyone who has roots in places like this and especially those who have the means and opportunity to hold on to it for posterity. God bless you and your family.

Good stuff!!

I grew up on what had been my grandfather's dairy. My uncle is still running Angus/Limo crosses there.

Sadly, my horse of 25 years went to the end of the trail a few years ago.

User Tag List