Page 14 of 680 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464114514 ... LastLast

Thread: Beretta 1301 Tactical

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    If you remove (pry out) the plastic retainer that captures the mag spring, you can get five in with room to spare.
    What part is that exactly?

Pull the mag cap. Note spring is retained, with cap off, by a plastic piece. Pry that plastic piece out. Spring is no longer captive, but there is more space in tube.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Thanks im going to try later today also can you ghost load this shotgun

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Pull the mag cap. Note spring is retained, with cap off, by a plastic piece. Pry that plastic piece out. Spring is no longer captive, but there is more space in tube.
    you mean the piece that holds the spring in ? then every time I take the gun apart the spring comes out when I unscrew the cap ?

Yes--that is what is supposed to happen, just like on Benellis, Remingtons, Mossbergs, etc... You want to be able to easily access the spring and follower.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Yes--that is what is supposed to happen, just like on Benellis, Remingtons, Mossbergs, etc... You want to be able to easily access the spring and follower.
    Thanks guys I got it, scratched the bottom of my barrel a bit trying to shove that thing down though. Fits 5 shells now though, now I have to learn how to ghost load this thing

While I don't have much use for the technique, carrier (ghost) loading works the same on a 1301 as on a Benelli, for example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vf7agIzbTvs.

For three decades, Remington 870's have been my go to shotguns--typically using 18" or shorter cylinder barrels for duty/work use and 24" or longer choked barrels for sporting/game purposes. As noted earlier, in the past few months I've begun to play with Beretta 1301's. Below is a comparison of work and game 870's compared with similarly configured 1301's.

Each gun sports Briley magazine tube extensions with the Picatinny rail and sling swivel options, allowing mounting of a light and a convenient sling attachment point. In addition, each has BFG VCAS 2 point sling, Aimpoint H1 RDS, and uses SF EAG Fury lights in LaRue mounts.

Keep in mind that the 1301 Tactical has an 18" barrel w/3" chamber, ghost ring sights, 3" length receiver, and comes with the Pic Rail installed, while 1301 Comps have 21" or 24" barrels w/3" chambers, vent rib and bead sights, 3.5" length receiver (bigger loading port), receiver is drilled for pic rail but it is not included ($65 option from Beretta). The 1301's are softer shooting than the Benelli M1/M2, but not quite as soft as the Remington Versamax--however the Beretta is substantially lighter than the Versamax and is much quicker on target. The VersaMax has a larger loading port, but the Remington lifter often needs some work to rapidly load well; the Beretta loads fine out of the box.

Both the 1301 Comp and the 1301 Tactical have 5 round magazines, but a variety of vendors make magazine extensions. As I wrote earlier in this thread, I recommend the 1301 Tactical for a shotgun that is going to be carried a lot and primarily shot defensively using buckshot and slugs; the larger loading port on the 1301 Comp makes it much better for a shotgun that is going to get run hard and needs to be reloaded rapidly. The 1301 Tactical has a fixed cylinder choke, while the 1301 Comp's use the Beretta Optima HP Chokes, providing more versatility for sporting purposes--I tend to run extended Briley "light modified" chokes on my game guns, as this works adequately for everything from birdshot to slugs.

Below is a comparison of similarly configured 1301's, including the 24" barrel Comp, 21" barrel Comp, and 18" barrel Tactical.

Note that since the 1301's have very long forends, I use the 3 cel EAG Fury lights in order to move the push button a bit further back to ease activation, plus what is not to like about 1000 lumens! A better solution will be for Beretta to design a forend with built in attachment rails. Each 1301 also has a Wilderness Products rear sling adapter.
    Last edited by DocGKR; 06-01-2014 at 02:10 AM.

At its price point, the 1301 looks killer! However, taking price out of the equation, I still lean to a properly configured Benelli M4, I think. However, the price difference between the two makes it like comparing a Savage M110 and a GA Precision rifle when the goal is 0-300m. Either will work just fine, likely.

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    At its price point, the 1301 looks killer! However, taking price out of the equation, I still lean to a properly configured Benelli M4, I think. However, the price difference between the two makes it like comparing a Savage M110 and a GA Precision rifle when the goal is 0-300m. Either will work just fine, likely.
    Just personal opinion, but I prefer my two 1301 shotguns to the Benelli M4 I had, even if the 1301 cost more than the M4.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List