Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Need holster suggestion...

Need holster suggestion...

I'm taking #1 grandson (18 YOA) to a Givens class next month. He'll be shooting his Beretta 92F. The boy was weaned on Glocks and HKs, but I got him the Beretta when he decided to join the Marine Corps (probably next year). He actually likes the Beretta better, and shoots it well.

I have a Yacqui slide type belt holster for it, but he should probably have something more conventional for the class. While we're not going the Uncle Mike's/cheap nylon route, I don't see the need for a Rosen/Sparks/Kramer semi-custom leather rig either.

I settled on my choices a long time ago, and haven't kept up with the latest/greatest in composite (i.e., plastic/kydex) offerings, except to know to avoid the dreaded Serpa and that ilk.

So, what do you guys recommend for a decent OWB "range" holster that won't cost a kidney? He can use one of my old Rosen belts, so we've got that covered.

My old agency issues the SafariLand ALS to the plainclothes guys; it looks to be 10-8. But I imagine there is a whole raft of offerings to choose from, that I know zilch about.

I'm thinking plastic or kydex here; I know I can fall back on oldies-but-goodies like the Askins Avenger, etc., from Bianchi/SafariLand/Hume/etc., but I'd rather not have him show up with a barely broken-in leather holster.

All suggestions greatly appreciated...

Not sure of their offerings for the 92 specifically, but Blade-Tech makes some good, inexpensive, available holsters that would probably do just right for that.

Safariland 5187 or 5188 holster is probably the cheapest option.

Just as reference, Optics Planet has 'em listed for ~30.00

(I don't particularly like OP, and since they're a nightmare to navigate, figured that I'd include the link is for right hand 92...)

RCS has the M9 on their quick-ship option; 80 USD plus shipping, not sure if that's beyond your budget.

Safariland ALS model 6377, probably the same one LSP issues to non uniform personnel.

I'm a firm believer that the safariland als models are the best retention type OWB holsters available.

Quote Originally Posted by JBP55 View Post
    Safariland ALS model 6377, probably the same one LSP issues to non uniform personnel.
    My recommendation exactly. At Optics Planet, you're probably looking at about $40-50 shipped...

Butters, the d*** shooter Byron's Avatar
    Oh man... I hate even admitting this...

I have an Uncle Mike's plastic paddle holster that I bought around '06 or '07. It has always been my "last resort" holster that gets thrown in my gear bag. I only ever use it for the rare occasion that I want to carry OWB at the range (all my other holsters are IWB), or when someone wants to borrow an OWB.

For around $26, it offers a good value, even though it clearly has issues. Most notably, you could easily destroy one with your bare hands, so don't use it for force-on-force or other activities that might subject a holster to impact or torque.* Mine has a solid paddle, unlike the skeletonized ones they show now.

If I wanted to buy another dirt-cheap "range only" holster these days, I'd probably get a Blade-Tech Revolution, which is essentially a better version of the above UM. Or perhaps more accurately, I would bet the UM is a rip-off of the Revolution. It's only a few dollars more, but it doesn't look like they make one for the Beretta.

*I did actually wear the UM in some ECQC evolutions in '07. It survived, but that's because it shifted around on my belt when subjected to impact, and squirted my gun out when pulled on.
    "If you run into an a**hole in the morning, you ran into an a**hole. If you run into a**holes all day, you're the a**hole." - Raylan Givens

Byron, one of those Uncle Mike's "utility" plastic holsters is what I had in mind, but I couldn't locate one for the 92. We have one for the HK P2000, and my wife used it in her first class with excellent results.

Moot point now, as his Raven Phantom is here, waiting…

Butters, the d*** shooter Byron's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    Moot point now, as his Raven Phantom is here, waiting…
    Awesome!

Well I guess we know who he considers his favorite grandpa

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    "If you run into an a**hole in the morning, you ran into an a**hole. If you run into a**holes all day, you're the a**hole." - Raylan Givens

User Tag List