Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: NoVA KSTG 2013-10-29

Site Supporter

Results

Thanks to everyone who came out for the match.
    Attached Files Attached Files

We are diminished
    Way to go Vinh!

Quote Originally Posted by joshs View Post
    Thanks to everyone who came out for the match.
    Great match... I really liked the fun stages and the low-light aspect. Got to use a slightly different set of skills than just "fast" or "far" (and it didn't feel fast, but it did feel fun).

...Now I just wish I had something that opens XLS files...
    "The nation that will insist on drawing a broad line of demarcation between the fighting man and the thinking man is liable to have its fighting done by fools and its thinking done by cowards." - Sir William Francis Butler

This was my first KSTG match, and I have to say that I probably won't be shooting it again. $25 for three stages, 35 or so rounds, and 70 seconds of shooting is pretty ridiculous. I appreciate that people are competing to become more proficient, but that COF was ridiculously easy. The only thing that KSTG has going for it over IDPA is a hot range, and I would love to see that carried over to the rest of the shooting world. Shooters can trash talk LEOs shooting ability all day (and I concur on most points) but we manage to carry loaded guns without ND'ing on a regular basis. I'm not sure why incredibly competent shooters are so horrified at the thought of a hot range - I get range safety, but USPSA/IDPA take it too far.

I'd rather get slaughtered shooting USPSA limited using an appendix holster and a compact 9mm for the same entry fee; the stages are longer, require more thought, you move further than five meters, and there are a lot more than three stages.

Woah, crazy! (Absence of the TLG and JV duly noted.) I actually went home thinking I'd like to someday get through a match without incurring a penalty of some sort.

2501, find a good local venue for an outside KSTG match and see what happens. Most of your complaints are actually about where the match is staged. The NRA range is somewhat limiting, no? KSTG is always looking for a volunteers to help with match setup if you would like to effect some real change.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by 2501 View Post
    This was my first KSTG match, and I have to say that I probably won't be shooting it again. $25 for three stages, 35 or so rounds, and 70 seconds of shooting is pretty ridiculous. I appreciate that people are competing to become more proficient, but that COF was ridiculously easy. I'd rather get slaughtered shooting USPSA limited using an appendix holster and a compact 9mm for the same entry fee; the stages are longer, require more thought, you move further than five meters, and there are a lot more than three stages.
    To be fair, other than the low-light and holiday theme aspects of this match, it was a bit simpler, shorter and less involved than most KSTG matches tend to be. While your comments aren't unreasonable (as noted above, the venue is a limiting factor, for one), I'd hold that judgement until you've seen/shot more than one.

As for it being ridiculously easy, it was one of the easiest KSTG matches I can remember thanks to the short ranges and relatively simple stages, but only Vinh can say it was "too easy". The rest of us had room for improvement.
    "The nation that will insist on drawing a broad line of demarcation between the fighting man and the thinking man is liable to have its fighting done by fools and its thinking done by cowards." - Sir William Francis Butler

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by 2501 View Post
    This was my first KSTG match, and I have to say that I probably won't be shooting it again.
    2501 -- Sorry the match didn't meet your expectations. KSTG is definitely going to be different from a USPSA match and if the USPSA-ish aspects of the shooting sports are what you like best, that's a better outlet for you. Certainly no hard feelings on anyone's part here.

The match this month was the victim of some chaos. I had committed to designing the stages and being there for setup, but due to an emergency out-of-state I had to bail late Sunday. That gave the rest of the crew little time to come up with the stages and also left them short-handed for setup. Given the limited venue and limited time we get to set up (match starts at 5pm, we get access to the range as late as 3pm sometimes meaning we get two hours to set everything up and get the ROs through the match to make sure everything is running properly), being down a guy for setup is a big deal.

So if you're going to be upset about the match itself, the blame for that lies with me. If you're displeased with the rules/sport in general, that's also primarily my fault. Thanks for giving it a try and best of luck in your future competitive endeavors.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Arclight View Post
    (as noted above, the venue is a limiting factor, for one)
    Agreed.

The venue is pretty limiting when you consider that we can't have rounds hit the floor, wall or ceiling. The further you move towards the shooting booths, the more difficult it is to plan for tall and short shooters because the vertical spread of targets is greatly reduced. When everything gets bunched up at the backstop, the width of a stage becomes an issue - unless you want to have 2 stages. Occasionally we run a larger stage and have you run it from L-R and R-L, but you can only do that so many times. I'm in favor of the cleanup stage, but those require some planning too.

The venue, and as Todd pointed out - the lack of time from range setup to first squad, are the two biggest limiting factors.

ETA: 2501: If you have some ideas to improve the matches, while working within the facility restrictions, I'd be interested to hear your ideas.
    Last edited by JV_; 10-31-2013 at 07:45 AM.

The match planners are always looking for help in stage design and setup.
    #RESIST

User Tag List