PDA

View Full Version : Baikal IJ-70

Hollis Yom
05-01-2013, 10:01 AM
First time post. I have the opportunity to acquire a Baikal IJ-70, Makarov 9x18mm pistol. It's more of a payment of a debt a person owes than a purchase of this firearm. I've done some research and from what I can find this was probably a military issue during the Cold War, but that might not be the case. It is stamped on the side as IJ-70, so I think it is either German or Russian made.

Does anyone have any experience with this gun?

I like the way it feels in my hand but I have not fired it yet.

The person owes me $230.00. It comes with just the gun and two 50 round boxes of ammo.

Descent deal or not?

Thanks.

Suvorov
05-01-2013, 12:40 PM
They are great little cheap guns. I had two and foolishly sold one. The are made in Russia and have adjustable sights to meet import restrictions. Edges are a little sharp springs are a little stiff but they go bang every time, hit what you are pointing them at, are decently concealable, and pack a little more punch than a 380.

Kyle Reese
05-01-2013, 12:44 PM
The Makarov was widely used by Soviet, East German and various satellite nations during the Cold War. It's a heavy, relatively well made and reliable handgun. As a plinker or novelty, it's not a bad little pistol. For defensive purposes, a modern service handgun along the lines of the Glock 17/19, HK P30, S&W M&P 9 or Sig P226/8/9 would warrant careful consideration.

Also, the Makarov's 9x18 cartridge is not interchangeable with the 9x19.

Hollis Yom
05-01-2013, 01:33 PM
Thanks guys.
I've already got a Beretta 92fs and a Glock 19. This Baikal is an interesting gun. Heavy and appears well made. I just need to know if the $230.00 is a good deal. From what they are asking for them online ,it seems like a fair price but I don't know how much somebody is willing to pay for one.
Any idea if $230.00 is worth it?

Suvorov
05-01-2013, 01:44 PM
Sorry has to cut my response short. If coming from a Beretta then the safety/decock on the Mak can get you in trouble as it is exactly opposite Western slide mounted safeties.

As for price - anything goes in today's market. When I bought mine back in the 90s they were going for under $200. I sold mine back in 08 for $200 and it went faster than lightning. So I would say $230 with ammo is not too far outside the realm of reasonability but I'd try to get him down around $200. Then again if he is the kind of guy who may not ever pay you back the money he owes you then I'd probably take the gun and call it even.

David Armstrong
05-01-2013, 02:11 PM
$230 with ammo is quite fair in this market. The gun should have come with a holster and a spare magazine. Fun guns, tough as a tank.

Hollis Yom
05-01-2013, 08:30 PM
Thanks for the heads up on the safety, Suvorov,and you're right. It is bass-ackwards.

I'm gonna take the gun.

For anybody interested here is some info on the guns history:

http://www.chuckhawks.com/baikal_IJ-70_syn.htm

Thanks