PDA

View Full Version : Warren Tactical Glock Front Sight Height

CQC.45
06-24-2011, 12:54 PM
Hello,

I posted this on another forum, but wanted to get feedback from the members here as well.

I need some help in choosing a front sight for my G17. I am planning on putting Warren rear on the pistol. I’ve read all of the discussion regarding the two Warren front sight heights (.215 and .245). The general consensus seems to be .215 for 6 o clock hold at 25yds and .245 for POA/POI at 25yrds, though there have been several whose opinions have contradicted this.

I still have a few questions though:

-The difference in stock Glock sights are .256 for rear and .165 for front. This is a .091 difference. The Warren sights have either a .035 or a .005 difference. The G17 shoots POA/POI right now with stock sights. Wouldn’t one want to emulate the stock ratio of front to rear to achieve the same goal or am I missing something?

-If the .245 front sight is set up to shoot POA/POI at 25yrds, will that still be true at 15yds, 10yds, 5yds, etc?

Lastly, I had considered getting the Ameriglo i-dot Pros for the cheaper price, however both the rear and front sight are very wide, which I am sure aid it sight acquisition but may make precise shots more difficult. Can anyone comment?

Thanks in advance for the assistance.

markp
06-24-2011, 01:16 PM
Don't know if you will find this helpful or not.
10-8 performance offers a "glock sight in" tool.
Basically an extra tall sight that you sand down until your POA/POI is zeroed at whatever range you decide.
http://www.10-8performance.com/products/Glock-Sight-In-Tool.html

Once you are satisfied with POI, measure the sight height and order exact (or nearest) dimension from your favorite vendor.

I've used it in the pass and it works as advertised.

JHC
06-24-2011, 01:36 PM
That 10-8 sight "trial" is probably a good idea based on my experience with .215 and .245 Warren front sights.

We have two Gen 4 G19s here. One of them with a .215 tall Warren shoots just a couple inches high for POI at 25 yards so a 6:00 hold on a 6" plate works great. But on the other one, crimony, a .215 tall front was printing even 124 grain Blazer a good 8" high at 25 yards and now a .245 tall front has got that gun shooting POA=POI at 25 yards. The .245 on the 1st Gen 4 G19 I mentioned would have it's POI below POA as this same height in fact did on one of our G17s.

So it's not model specific but gun specific. The first Gen 4 G19 I mentioned now sports a .220 tall Ameriglo Hack front with the Warren rear and it is very close to POA=POI at 25 yards. I've seen similiar up/down uniqueness with our G17s too. The 19 swapping is just more fresh in my mind.

I've no idea if any of that helped.

CQC.45
06-24-2011, 02:50 PM
That 10-8 sight "trial" is probably a good idea based on my experience with .215 and .245 Warren front sights.

We have two Gen 4 G19s here. One of them with a .215 tall Warren shoots just a couple inches high for POI at 25 yards so a 6:00 hold on a 6" plate works great. But on the other one, crimony, a .215 tall front was printing even 124 grain Blazer a good 8" high at 25 yards and now a .245 tall front has got that gun shooting POA=POI at 25 yards. The .245 on the 1st Gen 4 G19 I mentioned would have it's POI below POA as this same height in fact did on one of our G17s.

So it's not model specific but gun specific. The first Gen 4 G19 I mentioned now sports a .220 tall Ameriglo Hack front with the Warren rear and it is very close to POA=POI at 25 yards. I've seen similiar up/down uniqueness with our G17s too. The 19 swapping is just more fresh in my mind.

I've no idea if any of that helped.

It does, thanks. On another note, how do you like the Hack front (.140 width) with the Warren rear? I was considering this setup if the front/rear sight planets align for me.

JHC
06-24-2011, 05:01 PM
It does, thanks. On another note, how do you like the Hack front (.140 width) with the Warren rear? I was considering this setup if the front/rear sight planets align for me.

I am crazy about it. From another thread here: I've not seen much of the high hit problem yet with a Hack front (.220 tall) matched to a Warren Sevigny Carry rear. I've gotten PRs with a G19 at distant precision and gratifying fast hits on low prob 3x5s . . . so far. But I've just finished primary shooting my RTF2 17 to it's 2K test completion so I need to spend more consistent time with the G19 and this front sight to see how it pans out.

It's so wicked fast on other drills - esp those that transition between high prob targets, I'm not clear in my head that I would trade that, plus the aforementioned precision (out to 50 yds) because of half to 3/4 inch misses on a 3x5 shooting as in the FAST. Apart from my recent time using 3x5 cards so much, my aim point is the point of the nose so a hair high does not seem like the end of the world vis a vis so many other things I like about it.

Sherman A. House DDS
06-24-2011, 10:58 PM
Thanks for posting this. I just got a 17L that needs sights.

CQC.45
06-28-2011, 12:27 PM
If I found a front sight height which shot POA/POI at 25yrs, would it also shoot POA/POI at 15, 10, and 5yrds with 147gr 9mm? Thanks.

JHC
06-28-2011, 12:31 PM
If I found a front sight height which shot POA/POI at 25yrs, would it also shoot POA/POI at 15, 10, and 5yrds with 147gr 9mm? Thanks.

IME yes, closer than you could tell most likely.

NGCSUGrad09
06-29-2011, 11:46 AM
I hate to say it but.... it depends.

The intention of two heights was for a 6 o'clock and 12 o'clock hold at 25 yards. In the vast majority of Warren sights I've put on, the .215 height is for 6 o'clock while the .245 height is for 12 o'clock.

That being said, I have an older 34 that needs a .215 for POA=POI at 25 yards. By default I get the .245 height and change it if required.

JHC
06-29-2011, 02:52 PM
I hate to say it but.... it depends.

The intention of two heights was for a 6 o'clock and 12 o'clock hold at 25 yards. In the vast majority of Warren sights I've put on, the .215 height is for 6 o'clock while the .245 height is for 12 o'clock.

That being said, I have an older 34 that needs a .215 for POA=POI at 25 yards. By default I get the .245 height and change it if required.

Could you clarify a 12:00 hold? You mean the intent was you hold at the 12:00 of a bullseye for it to hit center x bullseye (under/behind your front sight)? Why would such a sight exist? ;)

NGCSUGrad09
06-30-2011, 08:13 AM
Could you clarify a 12:00 hold? You mean the intent was you hold at the 12:00 of a bullseye for it to hit center x bullseye (under/behind your front sight)? Why would such a sight exist? ;)

Sorry.. I meant dead center bullseye. Too many numbers running through my head when I wrote that.

CQC.45
06-30-2011, 09:57 AM
Sorry.. I meant dead center bullseye. Too many numbers running through my head when I wrote that.

Do you also find that the .245 fronts provide POA/POI (i.e. center bullsye) inward of 25yds as well (15, 10, 5yds, etc.)?

I know JHC said this proved to be true in his experience.

NGCSUGrad09
07-01-2011, 07:03 PM
Do you also find that the .245 fronts provide POA/POI (i.e. center bullsye) inward of 25yds as well (15, 10, 5yds, etc.)?

I know JHC said this proved to be true in his experience.

That has been my experience. For what it is worth, when I shoot a dot drill I do not hold anywhere but the center of the dot. Provided I do my part (loose nut behind the trigger and all) I will get rounds within the dot.

glockarmorer
07-09-2011, 11:35 AM
Clearing up sight picture ..... point of aim ..... point of impact ........ PLEASE

bulls eye shooting (.22) I use standard iron sights front and rear ....... setting the "pumpkin on the fence post"

Every thing else ....... IDPA ....... bowling pins ....... steels, I use plain rear and fiber-optic front. I hold the top of the front sight level with the top of the rear sight, and put the "dot" where I want the bullet to hit.

Problem is, I'm not sure what to call that ....... which leads to the question of how to choose a front sight height.

THE PROBLEM >> I have Warren Tactical rear sight on my Glock gen 4 model 17. I put HiViz FO on the front ....I think the tallest they make. I now have to bury the "dot" on the bottom inside of the rear notch to hit the POI I want.

Comments please on my set-up and thinking. As a side note ........ last night I won minor calaber in a pin match with my 17 and second in major with a traditional 3 white dot set ........ putting the dot itself on POI.